*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Curious for those of you with RTX 2080's...what is your undervolt #? I have mine at .931 @ 1920MHz. Wondering how low I can go with this until blue screening.

2. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's going to be different for each machine. One person may be able to go as low as -.800, while you may only be able to go as low as -.950.

It's just trial and error. Lower it until you crash, then raise it a tad bit more to find your lowest stable voltage.

Edit: For reference I'm running nearly the same as you (but on a 2070.) -.931 @ 1900MHz. I haven't tried going lower yet though as I haven't had the time to mess with it.

chewbakaats58 likes this.
  3. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm using a .975 @ 1950-1980Mhz (in game) at the moment and temps are below 75 in all titles I play. I don't see the point of going too low on the undervolt because the GPU runs cool in this machine especially at Full Speed Fans.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

chewbakaats58 and LoneSyndal like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Tried swapping the positions of 950 and 960? That kind of heat is bad news for SSDs.

mason2smart, Papusan, c69k and 2 others like this.
  5. VoodooChild

Reputations:
    As much as I hate AWCC and it's updates through Windows Store, I must say I quite like its settings for individual games, especially the option to set Fan Profiles for each game. I leave the default option at "Balanced" and have settings for each game using the "Full Speed" fan profiles. The transaction between the fan modes is very seamless indeed. For example, my wife plays the new Resident Evil (it's her first game ever and she loves horror movies so..) and I've set up the fan profiles for her. That way, she doesn't have to change any settings, AWCC makes it click and play and spares me the headache of monitoring the temps while she plays. When she quits the game, the system brings down the decibel levels automatically without any user input. To give credit where it's due, it's a nice touch from AW to implement this.

What is the option for "Audio Recon" in AWCC though? It's just greyed out for me and I can't change a damn thing there. Anyone got any clues?

I've finally found the most stable settings for my system. If anyone is interested, here it is:

9700K: 4.9 on 4 cores, 4.8 on all cores (using TS @-.125mV undervolt on both cache and core) and the temps never go above 80C, even on Division 2 which I find is the most taxing game I've installed.

RTX 2080: 1980Mhz @ 950mV (hovers between 1935-1960) using Afterburner and temps stays below 75C all the time, all my games.

I play everything with Full Speed fans with a headphone so the sound doesn't bother me at all. I must say, my M17xR3 was much more louder than this one when pushed.

One last thing, if anyone can guide me how to change .icc profiles on this machine, I would really appreciate it. I've about 5 profiles downloaded and installed but Color Management doesn't seem to do anything. I really don't want to use a third party s/w to implement the change every time I log onto windows like Vasudev suggested a few posts back. How do I use the in built Color Management app to do this?

Thanks and Cheers guys.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

raz8020, c69k, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  6. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    DisplayCal 3 starts with Windows. Once you have that running: in Color Management, go to Advanced tab and disable windows handling color management on bottom. Do same for setting Default Config. I can attach an image of my settings later if needed and how you can test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  7. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm playing it safe, because there are games where the temperature still reaches higher temperatures, it depends on the game a little. Also probably has to do with bad thermal pasting job on my laptop on the GPU (CPU is good though).
    So I'm running at:
    1845 MHz @ 862mV
    But for Call of duty where my game becomes instable, I use this setting:
    1800 Mhz @ 862mV

How I decided on this voltage was as following: Metro exodus was the heaviest game I was playing at the time I simply started the game and monitored the behaviour. And saw that after my GPU was reaching the peak temperatures of 83 degrees, I would get a stable around 1845 Mhz and 1830Mhz, which is clocked at 950Mv.

So I set a cap at 1845Mhz, and started going as low as possible in terms of mV, and overall had good results with 862mV, apart from Call of duty. And also very but very rarely overwatch also says "rendering device not found". so 1845Mhz is not that very stable at 862mV, but overall good. And then I switch to 1800MHz when necessary. The temperatures are roughly the same on both settings (although on lower end games such as overwatch, it can get a little hotter, because now that the gpu is only 1800MHz, it uses more cores of the GPU, causing it to get slightly hotter than the 1845Mhz, as in both cases it remains shy from using the gpu at 100%) FYI, I'm playing at 1440p 144Hz.

My temperatures are in overwatch in the mid 60s, and on the heavier games, that utulizes the GPU fully, I get begin 70s.

8. VoodooChild

Reputations:
    That will be great if you can share the image, may be more people need it than you may realise. Appreciate it man.
    I will find my way around DisplayCal 3 now...

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow :D for me Performance Fan is already too loud :oops:

I play everything in silent Mode or balanced. Balanced only for more demanding Games (Metro, BFV, division etc)

My wife would kill me if i ramp up the fans in our living room :eek:

10. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Silent mode cap the gpu tdp 50w...why not buy a maxq...

clayton006, mason2smart and Papusan like this.