*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I put a generous amount and spread it manually with the tool provided. Not sure how much to use so I made sure it was covered well. First time I’ve applied TIM like this other than the LM I used in my Sager.

Yes sir! Thanks again for the recommendation!

raz8020, Xatanú, Fire Tiger and 2 others like this.
  2. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Agreed with everyone else on avoiding that 1.5.4 bios update. I was playing Fortnite (you know that really gpu hungry game...) at a nice 280 fps...as soon as my temps hit 76 degrees it drops me down to throttle mode which put me at 35 fps lol. Safe to say I promptly reverted back to 1.5.0. Absolute garbage release by Dell.

3. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Just an update. Tried to call Dell twice today (about 11am CST and about noon CST) and both times was on hold for 10+ minutes before giving up.

I just emailed them now after going through my CC statements with a fine tooth comb... only to realize I can literally just search for "Dell" and get all my info ;-p Yup... $3,7xx on 3/7 and no refund or credit anywhere since, even though Credit Memo hit Dell.com on 5/12.

Not the end of the world - you bet I downloaded the Credit Memo from their site so I have it on the ready if for some reason I have to ask AMEX to do a chargeback. Hopefully I hear back from Dell by Mon. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2019
  4. LegionWolf

LegionWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Assuming no way of turning off boot up ‘error’ message when using two 330w chargers other than from bios?

Only issue would be not knowing if psu fails unless notice performance dip as it turns off all notices for psu??

5. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you for your detailed reply Sir, I appreciate it.

I haven't changed any setting in the BIOS that is CPU, overclocking or performance related, it must be something in the firmware which is throwing these errors. Although, from what I've read online, it doesn't impact the performance of the system.

Currently, I'm running Throttlestop to run my 9700K @ 4.8Ghz on all cores (4.9Ghz while 2 cores active) and getting great temps with anything I throw at it.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

What's is the speed of your GPU at .906V. It sounds awfully low..

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2019
    Xatanú and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not much you can do wrong in the Area-51m bios :)

[​IMG]

Performance menu...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see.... Not much can be tweaked from Bios. You'll have to use the app from Microsoft Store.
    [​IMG]

Maintenance menu...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Have you tried as I suggested? Increase clocks and put High Performance power plan? Speed Shift - EPP 0 in TS main menu.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    raz8020, Ashtrix, Rei Fukai and 3 others like this.
  7. VoodooChild

Reputations:
    Hehe. Ya, that BIOS is as generic as a Mini Van considering they sell this system like a Aston Martin or something like that...

However, after my repaste and tweaking this system for the past 2 days, I'm very happy with the performance of the machine. It does seem to run at its advertised values, within 5% of the performance of its desktop counterparts and I will take that in this form factor and the support of Dell awesome warranty.

The only thing that bugs me out is the RAM running at 2400Mhz, overclocking locked into their AWCC crap, Manual Fan Curve broken down, them pushing out BIOSes which craps the system out at 77C and the silence of Dell's/AW regarding the burning debacle. And judging by the history of AW not listening to customer base, I'm not very optimistic either.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

raz8020, Amroth, Rei Fukai and 4 others like this.
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    Yeah, it sucks offer lower than stock ram speed vs. Intels specs. And the useless OC app should never been offered. Everything should be in firmware. If people want that app... That's another story:D They could sell their souls and visit Micro$haft Store if they absolutely need it.

From what I know... You run 9700K. This will of course help on temps:)

raz8020, Ashtrix, Rei Fukai and 3 others like this.
  9. VoodooChild

Reputations:
    Ya, it's a 9700K, delidded and awesomely binned chip I might add. It runs at 4.9Ghz on 4 cores active and 4.8Ghz on all 8 cores and has never gone beyond 80C for my regular usage and gaming needs. While benching and using Throttlestop stress tests(which I love by the way and I think it's the most reasonable stress test out there), it goes to 90C on some of the cores and I am perfectly fine with that. I just copied 42GBs of Skyrim SE mods (4K textures and ENBs) and it copied from my Crucial P1 to 660p Intel in under 4 minutes, CPU never hit 75°. I'm more happy with this than I should be considering I'm coming from a 2920XM and a mechanical secondary drive.

I had never ever used Microsoft store until I bought this system. It sucks that AW are pushing out apps through this junk store and also, looks like nvidia are doing it. No matter which nvidia drivers I use, I never get the nvidia control panel on desktop (right click) I'm having to download the control panel separately through the app store every time and I do not like it one bit.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

jclausius, Xatanú and Fire Tiger like this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    Next time look into this sub-forum http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/gaming-software-and-graphics-cards.26/

We post every new Nvidia driver that being released.
    Bro @j95 always post his driver mods for each new Nvidia WHQL drivers. No need to visit the Microsoft crApp Store.

raz8020 and Xatanú like this.