*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Run like firestrike demo in window mode and fans on balanced, while GPU-Z is open and under sensors tab watch your core and temps, once 75 hits it will start dropping, Or run another program that is GPU intensive firestrike demo may not reach 75 on some systems?

correct that one they locked I am thinking this one they forgot and will lock it soon.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2019
    Xatanú likes this.
  2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Then I guess it's time to unlock things around here. Is anyone looking into the packer that Dell uses for Bios firmware? I will be taking a quick look and see if there is a simple check that can be removed to allow downgrade to older versions.

3. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did it

He said he reached 81 degree with 1.5.4

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    raz8020 and Xatanú like this.
  4. BADAZZYOUNGIN

BADAZZYOUNGIN Newbie

Reputations:
    Darkhan likes this.
  5. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ROMS will surely be signed and anything you touch will break the signature making it not flasheable unless you use a chip flasher. The only way will be obtaining the private key Dell uses for signing the ROMS

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not weird at all...
    [​IMG]
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1190#post-10917097
    Even a chip flasher won't help!

raz8020, Ashtrix, Rei Fukai and 2 others like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There are 2 way signing involved one at Dell's end and another at AMI server. You can preserve Dell one but AMI sign server is difficult to get hold off since you might need AMI signing tool. Even if you manage to get into Recovery capsule override the CMOS checksum gets wrecked and you need full SPI flash with full erase and re-flash full 16.8MB BIOS incl. ME.
    If you obtain it the BIOS will be bricked anyway. AW BIOS is too locked down. Maybe you can ask Prema or Svet with some donation to your BIOS unlocked but eventually Dell will block it. So, choose your options carefully.

Rei Fukai and Xatanú like this.
  8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Yeah checksum matches is a must. A bios downgrade option within the BIOS itself would have been a really good implementation though.

Xatanú likes this.
  9. ubar

ubar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it possible to get a refund for the extended warranty as well? My 30 day window is about to close and I am seriously considering the idea of shipping it back to Dell... Thank you.

10. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Interesting. If that's true it will mean that only some systems get capped with that BIOS. That's weird. It will only make sense if the BIOS had the ability of checking something internally (MOSFETs part numbers or components serial numbers) that would serve to identify the potentially problematic laptops and cap them selectively.