*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Whoops. Got you mixed up with the lucky fellow. ;)

2. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm really interested in this laptop but the thought of carrying two power bricks to work is putting me off. I was wondering if anyone knows if the following configuration i7-8700 + RTX 2070, would run doing normal office tasks such as Excel, Word etc on one 330 W brick or is it even possible to run with one brick?

3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You could likely do office related tasks on the single 180w brick. I thought I read here or somewhere else that it was possible (or at least intended).

4. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You could definitely get away with only bringing the 180w brick to do things like excel word. Probably some light gaming too so long as it's not a triple A game.

mason2smart and FrozenSolid like this.
  5. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Why short customers? I would think they should probably just include 2x 330 watt or 2x 240 watt depending on the model... Can yield a weird and off-putting look with 2 different sized bricks hooked up.

6. mason2smart

Reputations:
    If your up for chances, you can get a win10pro upgrade key on the grey market for like $10. I upgraded my Triton to win10 that way and had absolutely no issues. Honestly, to not include windows 10 pro free with such a high end system, both the OEM's and Microsoft are doing customers a huge disservice. :(

7. Terreos

Terreos Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cost probably. Plus I think it's been confirmed on a bios level they limited how much power the laptop can draw. So even if we got a second 330w it wouldn't give us more usable power. Dumb I know. Plus they probably have alot of spare 180w lying around so they're just trying to sell more?

raz8020, Papusan and mason2smart like this.
  8. mason2smart

Reputations:
    So far I've been pretty disappointed with most RTX offerings at this point. Am really considering getting this laptop but was originally hoping for another SLI setup :(

Someone should try and see if the Eurocom 780 Watt Power adapter can be modded to fit the sockets on the Area 51m... That way only 1 power supply unit would be needed...

Personally, I find it difficult to choose between lunar light and dark side of the moon without being able to feel the material. (I'm guessing for $50 there has got to be some material difference of some sort) Also depending on material, i have worries the white color could get stained/marked and show dirt more.

Last Dell laptop I had (an XPS), the supposed aluminum ring around the outside of it was actually just plastic and covered with "aluminum paint" and it started to flake off after a few months.

Anyone who has this laptop already, would be nice to know you thoughts on how it looks/feels so we can get an idea of chassis quality? Keyboard flex, display flex (often overlooked biggie -- Triton 700 display rubs against the kb leaving imprints and scrapes on the screen), light bleed (previous issue I've seen plague almost all dell laptops), etc. would all be nice to know.

Also does anyone have any experience with the TactX kb? How does it compare to cherry red/brown from the Titan?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    Terreos likes this.
  9. FrozenSolid

FrozenSolid Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if the Intel UHD graphics is enabled on the i7-8700 without G-Sync?

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Not sure if firmware will allow more than 330w from one power socket.

Ashtrix, raz8020 and Falkentyne like this.