*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    9900K is a damn hot CPU. It thermal throttles even with -165mV undervolt when subjected to intense benchmarks like Cinebench or blender! It remains very nice and cool during ALL games though with max temps hovering below 80. And just to tell you something interesting, my MSI GT75 Titan with a GTX 1080 also overheated and shut down if I ran that beast without a GPU undervolt. This is how these full powered mobile GPUs work. If you give it enough juice, it will throttle. This is just laws of physics at play here. Nothing HIDevolution or even Dell for that matter can do about it unless they go bananas and offer a desktop grade mounting cooler for this machine and make this officially a Desktop instead of a portable device. There is nothing "cold and fast" on the market right now until we have 7nm chips available and next generation of GPUs operating on PCIe 4 and above. If I were you, I'd only make my decisions based on performance that I can achieve in realistic scenarios after putting suitable undervolts in place. If not happy with performance, only then I'd use the stock thermals as a reason to get a new machine or component swap.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    c69k likes this.
  2. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the HIDEvolution delid and thermals upgrade with no issues. If you have undervolted and still have issues afterwards, then it would be something to return. I came from a P870DM-G so I knew what I had to do with the new system.

What I dont accept is the changes being made that pretty much treats us as stupid end-users. They should just let those who know what they’re doing go all out. Most people buying into this machine are advanced users for the most part, not some mindless idiots with no knowledge about system potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xatanú, BADAZZYOUNGIN and S.K like this.
  3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    This particular CPU will not be happy unless there is a full fat desktop cooler sitting on top of it, no matter how much you undervolt it (benchmarks only). For games and other realistic stuff, it stays well within comfort zone with reasonable undervolts. Benchmarks are a completely different story though. The Z-height alone on this dye is enough to raise thermals beyond comfort zone when benching. And regarding the Bios fiasco, I fully agree with you. That's why I have neutered my Windows 10 updates completely and switched to a mechanism where I only get names of updates that are available and it is upto me whether to download or not, separately as KBxxxxxx modules from microsoft update library. No need to allow them automatically do things for you if you are a power user.

c69k and Xatanú like this.
  4. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Anyone know how to set up windows updates in Group Policy editor to either download, and not install until I tell it to, or not download at all until I tell it to?

5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    There is a very cool utility available for free download called ShutUp10. Try it out. It will take care of all the basic tasks for you. But you'll have to disable hardware related updates separately + disabling of Delivery Optimization service needs some extra work.

6. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looks guys, just to reiterate my points, I'm NOT expecting a desktop equivalent performance on this form factor by any stretch of imagination. I've had multiple experiences of handling a high powered laptops as you can probably see in my signature and I've been doing this for a long time time mow. I was, in fact, a Dell technical supervisor for their Alienware Branch in India right after I finished my engineering. Thats how I bought my first Alienware too, using an employee discount. So, term "novice" doesn't apply in my case.

I was happy with its performance until 2 days ago. That's until I came across Division 2. No matter what settings I choose, -125mv underclock on CPU at 4.5Ghz and .975mV on the GPU at 1850Mhz, I'm am hitting thermal limits on the chips within 5 minutes max. It's a throttling nightmare. GPU hits 86C and craps out and CPU reaches 97C.

This leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the application of the thermal grease and may be the seating of the heat sinks. I've been advised not to open up the system by Hidevolution until they remotely access my system and test its limits and I completely understand their point of view. But, after having paid premium for their services, I think I may be right feeling a little bit pissed of at this. Don't you think?

What are your settings and temps for Division 2? Can you post it here.

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

hmscott likes this.
  7. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    All ultra with chromatic abberations off (headache purposes). Resolution at 1920x1080. DX12 Enabled.

This is one of the few games that requires Full Fan speed because it is very resource intensive.

Thermals used: Kryonaut, Conductonaut, and Fujipoly extreme pads.

Proof: Video is 2 weeks old and was testing thermals as I played. No notable fps drops or throttling. (this was when I reported odd spikes in performance on bootup)-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VoodooChild likes this.
  8. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If we go by the AW17R5's motherboard and keyboard flex then this is only normal.

S.K likes this.
  9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    -165mV CPU at stock clocks (5GHz is not sustainable in this case), 1950 MHz GPU at 937mV. One more upgrade that I did was to install Panasonic 2mm 13W/mK thermal pads. Way better than thermal grizzly minus 8 ones and that helped with the GPU tremendously. GPU max temps are 77 degrees after 2-3 hours game play in a non-air conditioned room. But ambient temperatures should make a difference of a few C since it's not that hot where I live as compared to your country.

I have to mention here though that using 2mm thermal pads will get rid of this problem in all cases. This only becomes an issue when 1.5mm is used when it is just not a snug enough fit. FujiPoly doesn't make 2mm pads so people need to evaluate other choices as well for this particular project instead of buying "upgrades" from resellers. Sometimes even they can make this mistake.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2019
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    How to use WUB

As well use O&O Shutup and WPD.

Download any patches as standalone an install in offline with Network disabled.

c69k, Darkhan, raz8020 and 3 others like this.