*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Silentfan

Silentfan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Joikansai likes this.
  2. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys, can anyone of you check your AWCC Fx tab and see if you can change the lighting to any other mode other than solid colours. Mine has no rainbow effects..nothing. Just a solid color option. Also, how do you download themes for it and if you have some, can you share it here?
    Thanks

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Where did you get this from? Links?

Sent from a Galaxy S9+

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2019
  3. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  4. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    raz8020, Falkentyne and Papusan like this.
  5. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for sharing, I also saw the white version of the m15 on the intel event. But I don't get it. I very recently asked frank on twitter if there were any plans on making a small version of the Area 51M. basically something like an Area 51M, but smaller that only has 1 PSU.
    And he said that they had no plans for it. And now they suddenly come with this.

Is this a complete new replacement for the m15 and m17? Or is it like the exact same machines with a simple new design? If it's the 1st one, I don't get why they released m15 and m17 for it to have such a short live span.

But damn, If I knew this was coming I might have waited getting an area 51m. Although I still have the 2nd batch laptop. If it were to burn again I guess I might perhaps talk them into getting me one of these new ones instead. But will have to see their thermal performance. If it is anything like the current m15/m17, then it's a no go for me.

Also any official news from Dell yet regarding the Area 51M and RTX 2080 issue? I was out of country previous week.

Rei Fukai, Xatanú and Vasudev like this.
  6. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Better design and portability, no need to be so cynical.
    What's more, no smoke:rolleyes:

Frank is just A liar, haven't you seen his reaction on the burning issue?
    Donald has posted the official issue stating Dell has tried the improved components but still keep catching fire.
    So every area 51m available now could still be a faulty one.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2019
  7. kmwaziri

kmwaziri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've been lurking around and reading everything since this thread started. I was/am holding off buying A51m because of the burning issues and then @Donald@HIDevolution confirmed it's not just 1st batch but also second that is plagued with same. MSI may have went soldered route but if the laptop is reliable and dependable with 5-7% less performance (which is where other RTX2080 laptops are according to Notebookcheck) I think its still a better buy, at the moment. If cooling solution is as advertised it will have better headroom for overclocking reducing performance gap further. GT75 when it came out was hands down best in keeping components cool out-of-the-box and I expect no less for GT76.

Again as many before me have said, full credit to Dell for trying but undeniably they rushed to release this one.
    Area 51m R2 could be a winner if Dell can sort these issues and keep DGFF alive.

8. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like cr@p IMHO. Just 76WHr battery life??? WTF? I want full fat AW 15 back with 99WHr battery and superior cooling!!!

Soldered RAM too? WTF

raz8020, Papusan and jclausius like this.
  9. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone experienced any issues with the latest nvidia drivers that were pushed yersterday through nvidia experience? The first thing I noticed is that DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) settings changed "automagically" to 2x, while previously it was off in my setup, so I had to disable it.
    The second issue is that I'm experiencing a FPS drop in The Division 2 for exteriors. Previously I had between 110 and 130 FPS, while now I have 80-100 FPS with the same cpu and gpu settings. For the interiors it seems to remain the same, between 130 and 144 FPS.
    Maybe DSR was not the only setting that changed or maybe the new drivers are causing problems with this game. Or maybe it's just me.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The design language reminds me of Legion Y740 w/ Corsair CUE lighting. Did they pull an idea out of Apple's books?

Papusan likes this.