*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Shame 1440p/120Hz is getting passed by.

Leaping to 4K/120Hz is wasteful when 4K/60Hz gaming isn't yet realistic for laptops.

2. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    I saw that, however it appears to not have narrow bezels. :(
    Do you have a link to that? Interesting...
    I know they announced a 15.6" LTPS that is 120Hz but had not heard of a 17.3" that was 120Hz.
    That sure would be interesting to see considering the size of desktop 4K 120Hz monitors. They are significantly thicker than say a QHD 165Hz.

3. Sunnydora

Sunnydora Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For those who are interested. I just purchased two SSD heatsinks from dell. They charge 4.99 for each and they included free shipping. I only need to pay less than 10.78. Apparently they are in stock right now. Btw the part number is JV98R if you needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VoodooChild, DrewN and Papusan like this.
  4. iron_megalith

iron_megalith Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well I won't be mean to Dellienware for their effort in Area-51m. I hope they take a page or two for allowing more control for PL and such. Still MSI's soldered GPU is a deal breaker. No matter how awesome the cooling will be it's a mighty pass for me.

jclausius and Papusan like this.
  5. FXi

FXi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also note that in the pic above the heatpipes are tightly held together. On good air heatsinks heatpipes are soldered together with top and bottom plates to insure optimum heat transmission into the pipes and sinks. Dell's pipes aren't even tightly aligned, but the ones above are. That shows a much greater care for the heatsink design than simply more pipes. They are better pipes, not just more of them.

We may hate the BGA gpu's, but with the rate of burnouts on the dell daughterboards, it's not yet proving to be a better design. Time will tell, but so far, first adopters have been given a very unpleasant experience and with not small dollars involved.

Sunnydora likes this.
  6. Evertbie

Evertbie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Although I can fully understand the preference to have exchangeable gpu and cpu to be able to replace them independently of the motherboard, I don’t see a clear path of upgrading with intel changing sockets frequently and relying on dells proprietary gpu module...its Niche only, albeit a pretty cool one...

Maybe once technology has shrinked the chip size and power requirements down enough, modular design may pick up again but IMHO not soon, especially for power users who want it “portable “..

I think what’s would be really useful for that niche is for dell or msi to open up an RND and really look into more advanced cooling solutions

doofus99 likes this.
  7. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i am more optimistic. the next gen nvidia/amd GPU are going to be 7nm which will further lower GPU power requirements. Alienware has already overbuild the GPU to allow it to run at 200W power when nvidia's official specs call for only 150W. power is not the issue here, but rather if dell is willing to put in the resources to design the next DGFF board for the new GPU.

Evertbie and Vasudev like this.
  8. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A thinner version of the area 51m is coming....Power button right side...What the hell?
    Edit: m15/17 successor confirmed (Computex)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Rei Fukai likes this.
  9. Silentfan

Silentfan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Interesting....with a big / modern touchpad (ok, not so interessting for a gaming-notebook, but better look).

I do not like the deeper keyboard. And the fans may be less big (bad).

I think the current is not too thick...

10. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep, much better look