*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are you sure it doesnt show the 1TB SSHD listed on your order?

I would expect them to still have the cage/wire inside the machine even if you didn't get a HDD, but knowing AW/Dell, your guess is as good as mine, and I'm sure you'll get different answers from everyone at dellienware.

2. alizzleable

alizzleable Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They will include it as far as I know, I ordered it from XOTICPC without the hard drive and it came wtih both.

Sunnydora likes this.
  3. Sunnydora

Sunnydora Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I checked it again and the only thing is the 256GB SSD.
    [​IMG]
    The reason why I am confused is that some buyers in other regions reported that they didn't come with them, I went on and asked a dell sales rep and here's their reply...
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the tip! I wonder if that applies to those who purchased directly from Dell, or XOTICPC/ HIDevolution will add it to our machine.

4. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For those of you interested, Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut will be available on Amazon June 1 and you can pre order now. $15.99 for one pad (Intel.)

Might pick one up to try it out. Looks like from the testing it runs about ~3C warmer than Kryonaut, but it can be reused.

Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut Thermal Pad 32 x 32 x 0.2 mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PHN2ZNY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Bo26CbH3F1MA4

Sunnydora likes this.
  5. ahanganu

ahanganu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got mine from a store with no HDD, just two M2 and it came with the hdd enclosure and everything, it even had screws taped to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VoodooChild and Sunnydora like this.
  6. Sunnydora

Sunnydora Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It looks nice! I like the idea of reusable pad. Will order one.
    That's nice! Thanks for the feedback. So far from what I've heard they are very likely to ship with it if you order from a reseller or pick up from a store. Hope I can get confirmation from someone ordered directly from dell as well! With that being said, if they didn't include those, I'd probably find someone complaining about this issue in this thread from my research lol.

7. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Just to reply to myself to add new info...
    Here are the results of further testing comparing the two panels (LG vs AUO 144Hz G-Sync)
    Again I must point out that the LG's brightest point is center and spreads out to lower nits as you go to the edges.
    With AUO its actually brightest at top center and kind of degrades in an array / cone shape as you go down.
    I have seen this on other AUO panels on in desktop monitors. (for example PG279Q).
    I also was able to attempt to find another way of testing response time. I'm not confident in the number it produces but in the least bit it allows me to compare the two.
    The test shows that the panels were almost identical when it comes to response time. This also was what I visually was able to see. (again I'm picky so I was looking for the one with less blur)

AUO
    Black level = 0.2769 cd/m^2
    50% level = 70.92 cd/m^2
    White level = 300.10 cd/m^2
    Aprox. gamma = 2.08
    Contrast ratio = 1084:1

LG
    Black level = 0.2750 cd/m^2
    50% level = 74.06 cd/m^2
    White level = 333.62 cd/m^2
    Aprox. gamma = 2.17
    Contrast ratio = 1233:1

8. ahanganu

ahanganu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am running the stock vbios, I don't really know anything about the 200w vbios, what's that about? Truth be told I'd rather force it and make it burn rather then keep looking above in case the sky will drop.

Anyway my impression right now is that I'm not really getting the GPU in full load in any game so that would explain the temps. I'll give it more time in Division2 later this week with uncapped FPS to see how it goes as that seemed to be the most intensive thing around right now.

9. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here you go the 200w vbios
    https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...roductcode=alienware-17-area51m-laptop&lwp=rt

I've been really concerned about the temperature difference since the replacement

10. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, just looking at this picture i start to drool.... maxresdefault.jpg

this thing has the potential to utterly destroy the 51m. The heatsink is not shared, so heat will have a harder time bleeding from the GPU side to the CPU side. The thing has 4 more heatpipes than the 51M. a shame the RTX is soldered, but if we need to believe MSI, it's the full fat 2080, so this could be a serious competitor to the 51m (how can this thing have more copper than the 51m while weighing the same ?!) i read that 4 years of developing this has been put in. looking @how the inside looks, it sure looks like it. AW has been caught pants down and this could wake them up again from the slumber they had (like how @Johnksss and @Prema woke up umar when he taught no laptop could walk side by side with the 51m lol)

i'm interested to see what it can do, but for now if no manufacturer plays nice with AMD i'm building desktops again lol.

c69k and Vasudev like this.