*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Yes, you can still do that. Just don't use Ctrl+L to lock it there if you want it to downclock at idle. Worst case scenario, save two profiles. One to lock it where you want it for gaming, and another one with the same settings, but not permanently locked into boost mode. Then you can change profiles on the fly from the system tray icon.

You go to the voltage curve tool, grab the dot for the 0.950V column, move it up to 1900MHz and click apply. Then save it to a profile. Go back and select that dot, do Ctrl+L to add the yellow line and lock it there. Click apply, then save it to another profile.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OK does this curve say "at 1700MHz use the leftmost voltage point, ie 811mV, and ignore all other points to the right?"

And in that case what is the meaning of all these other points to the right?

Also my MSI Afterburner does not read the GPU voltage, or power. Do you know of a way around this? Do I need to install Hwinfo and ask MSI to read from it?

3. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    @doofus99

>>>>Yes.

>>>>The same voltage, the same frequency.

>>>>Fix:

ENABLE VOLTAGE CONTROL "FIX"

Step 1: Go to your MSI Afterburner Profiles folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\Profiles)
    Step 2: Right-click the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." and go > Properties > Security
    Step 3: Select "Edit" and then click on "Users (username\Users)" and with the permission boxes below, check "Allow" for the first box - Full control. Click OK and OK again (this allows the file to be saved after editing it).
    Step 4: Now you can open the file named "VEN_10DE&DEV..." in WordPad and replace everything you see with this:

[Startup]
    Format=2
    CoreVoltageBoost=
    PowerLimit=
    ThermalLimit=
    ThermalPrioritize=
    CoreClkBoost=
    MemClkBoost=
    [Settings]
    VDDC_Generic_Detection=1

Step 5: Save the file and restart MSI Afterburner
    Step 6: Go into MSI Afterburner settings and check the boxes under General > "Unlock voltage control" and "Unlock voltage monitoring" then click OK and restart Afterburner.
    Final: GPU voltage control is unlocked and can be used now up to +100mV as well as monitoring GPU voltage in the OSD.

>>>Moving the voltage slider has no effect on my laptop. But you will get the actual voltage for monitoring purposes.

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I ordered some from Germany. (Could not get it in the US.) I haven't posted any results. The formula is a little better. Easier to apply (sticks to contact surfaces better) and not quite as runny. It is more like Conductonaut and the "old CLU" in terms of those properties.

The only problem I had is there is not enough product in the syringe for HEDT users. So, I could not fully test it in the scenario that played out for me. I replaced Conductonaut on the die and replaced the IHS with a RockitCool copper IHS on my 7960X. The temps were absolutely horrid with the copper IHS, but I used every last drop from the syringe on the aftermarket IHS (I do all surfaces) so now I am back to using Conductonaut and was never able to test the thermal effectiveness of the new Liquid Ultra. I wish I had stuck with the stock IHS. I probably will not buy it again because of how little product there is in the syringe. It's more than enough for at least two laptop CPU repastes, and the good part is that it is not as runny and easier to apply without balling up and repelling from the contact surfaces.

5. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Ouch.
    Given their current track record, i'll go with what I posted.

Vistar Shook, Rei Fukai and Papusan like this.
  6. c69k

c69k Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got the information about EXTREME from you (a few weeks ago you posted that you ordered it), but could not remember who posted it.
    All I knew that it was definitely someone from BGA hater's wolfpack LOL

I think non-running LM would be okey for Area-51M:D

7. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    At the time of purchase specifying Pro vs Home is far cheaper than that, either the Dell rep got that wrong or they misunderstood you - unless this is location specific but thats a big cost difference.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  8. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Should also note that it's like a $10 upgrade if you know where to look.

Never buy Dell's upgrade cost

Vistar Shook and raz8020 like this.
  9. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It was this! many thanks!

Vistar Shook and c69k like this.
  10. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There is no other option lesser than the 2070, and to be honest I never really notice any difference on the higher refresh rate screens anyways.

Also if its running at far less than its capable of doing, it will produce less heat. I also have an external 4K screen I may use from time to time.

c69k likes this.