*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
  2. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That GT76 seems appealing with those ports, but not sure if I would trade the weight and size for the much larger unit. I am already finding my old P870DM-G to be quite heavy for on-the-go purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    For what its worth...
    I was able to test both the LG and the AUO panels.
    The LG had 330 nits at its brightest point which was dead center.
    The AUO had 280 nits on dead center with 300 nits being on the top center.
    The AUO only achieved 300 nits in that one spot while the LG had above 300 nits multiple locations.

Regarding the response time. I'm pretty darn picky when it comes to response time and I would say these panels are pretty close to each other, if not the same.
    I tested by using two methods. One was the typical blur buster method and then used a high speed camera to compare moving images.
    I also did the more scientific eyeball test. I personally feel while eyeballing it is the least accurate when it comes to measurement it is the most accurate when it comes to satisfaction.
    From an eyeballing it standpoint they look very similar and I would genuinely be happy with either when it comes to response time. (again I'm super geeky and picky when it comes to response time).

Regarding color reproduction I personally feel that comes down to preference. With no calibration to me they both looked similar. Again I'm kind of picky when it comes to something that is too warm and yellow. I was not bothered by either panel in its out of the box uncalibrated state.
    When both were calibrated to the same settings; they looked the same with the exception of the brightness. Calibrating tends to sacrifice brightness a little,so because the LG was brighter out of the box, it obviously ended up brighter after calibration.

All in all, I would say I would not stress about either panel regarding response time, or even for color / brightness for that matter as the both are awesome panels.
    I personally would only stress about dead / stuck pixels & of course extreme light bleeding which historically AUO has been known for.
    My suggestion would be to use a monitor test site like EIZO and check for dead or stuck pixels.
    Be sure not to just check a solid white / black but also RED, GREEN, & Blue as its very common that a sub pixel is dead or stuck.

I hope this helps someone. :)

Pudge, LoneSyndal, Gorebag and 6 others like this.
  4. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's the most detailed review I've seen of the both panels. Thank you so much mate, truly appreciated. Is the contrast ratio of these panels similar too?

Can also please share both your calibrated profiles here so that some of us can try it? I know we've had this discussion before that every panel needs to be calibrated differently but I want see how the panel feels after applying your calibrated profile.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Ultra Male, Gorebag and Fire Tiger like this.
  5. Gorebag

Gorebag Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice, thanks a lot. Gotta say I'm surprised to see the brightness distribution differ that much on the same kind display: Notebookcheck's example (LG) had high nits in the middle (335) while the sides could be as low as 280. Yet another thing you need to roll well on in the component lottery then I guess :/

And yes, like Voodoochild asked; really want to know about the contrast as well. The LG I referenced had a 508:1 contrast ratio. Iv'e read the AUO is stronger there; up to 700:1-800:1.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  6. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. chewbakaats58

chewbakaats58 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    wow I'm going to have to save this response somewhere. If mine blows up after my 3yr warranty is up, you can best believe I'll be referencing this! lol

raz8020, Papusan, hmscott and 3 others like this.
  8. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I also took a screenshot and backup the screenshot :D..

You're welcome

9. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great find! Saved for future references

+rep

hmscott likes this.
  10. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I highly doubt Frank has the power to give everyone lifetime warranty, good luck trying to claim that with some telephone agent in the future. Good luck trying to explain what "specific root cause" he is referring to and what that actually means.

raz8020, Papusan and hmscott like this.