*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
  2. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Answering my own question, GPU-Z shows this running at 4x

ssj92, VoodooChild and nkc like this.
  3. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I do 5 and 2 constant , life is for the living

Please do test the AGA

So no go for USB then . If I could get a very sleek usb c hub , I just don’t want anything sticking from my left and right of the laptop lol...... I wish I could do DP to usb or something like that and use those ports at the back

So where is the other 4 hiding ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2019
  4. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    There are no AW notebooks where the TB3 is through CPU lanes, it's always through PCH.

No where, it's only 4 lane

What is the difference between PCI Express Gen3X4 lanes and Intel Thunderbolt 3 Plug and Play?
    The Alienware Graphics Amplifier’s technology uses a direct hardware connection, while the Thunderbolt 3 technology is based on a platform with shared bandwidth. Alienware’s Graphics Amplifier will never share, or compromise, the bandwidth to your system’s GPU. Instead, it provides reserved high bandwidth directly to your system’s GPU with one unique cable connection. Alienware Graphics Amplifier utilizes four lanes of dedicated PCIe Gen 3. The Thunderbolt 3 specification is capable of either two or four lanes of PCIe depending on the OEM’s implementation of Intel’s technology. Alienware gains an advantage by having these lanes dedicated to graphics that are not shared by LAN, USB or display ports.

nkc and c69k like this.
  5. Mechanized Menace

Mechanized Menace Lost in the MYST

Reputations:
    Thanks fellas! Will update you all once I get it in muh hands!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jclausius likes this.
  6. Timoonn

Timoonn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For mine estimated delivery is at least 3rd of july, and the order is not yet launched (I just accepted the specifications).

7. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How do we know if we are affected or not apart from the obvious case when it burns to death? I guess he means that they will just keep replacing the laptops whenever they burn, which is something expected for any equipment under warranty. But this is not very reassuring for us:
    1. Functionality: I don't want to be worried all the time by the possibility of having a laptop that could burn, specially when I leave the computer working in some renders or whatever and I'm not at home. This is very limiting for a lot of people like me, not everybody bought the computer just for gaming. I use it mainly as a workstation and need a reliable system. I don't want to risk getting my house on fire so I'm really afraid of leaving it unattended, that's very limiting for me.
    2. Cost: I don't want to run into extra costs by extending the warranty for some more years. Supposedly we have two years for all the products sold in Europe, which from my perspective should be enough to check if something has any manufacturing defect or not. I have never extended the warranty for any product and I have never had any problem. But everybody is rushing to extend their warranty and I don't feel comfortable with just two years (*) with this system, who will assure that I don't have a ticking bomb and it gets the crap out in a couple of weeks after my warranty expires? It's like you are being forced to get that extended warranty and it's not especially cheap.

(*) I would like someone to clarify this, as the law in Europe is clear (2 years), but when I enter my service tag in Dell's website it shows that I only have 1 year of warranty. This is confusing.

8. Mechanized Menace

Mechanized Menace Lost in the MYST

Reputations:
    I think people are just purchasing warranty for the amount of time they expect to use it. Not necessarily because of this issue. I always buy 2-3 years of extended warranty. Also, you need to keep in mind that without a percentage of failures we really do not know how wide spread the issue is. This is most likely a small subset of systems and it seems prevalent because most people come to a forum for issues. Take my Alienware M17xR2 for example had lots of problems was really active during that time here. Got my 15 R3 and had some issues with my initial system I came to the forum. Got a replacement and no issues for a couple of years barely came to the forum. Regarding the warranty concerns just reach out to Dell.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger and Xatanú like this.
  9. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sarcasm ? ;)

Anyway... this was clearly NOT an answer for sure, either they are still looking for the problem or they find what's the problem and they don't want this be shown at the face of the whole IT world :/...

There's only one way to know. Got the laptop fix/swaped for those with dead units or order from now...

And spend some time... let's say one month, with default settings, all updates (bios, dell drivers, ...) and default thermal paste & pads.

If the laptop successfully survived : two options :
    - If the temperatures & behavior is fine with default pads & paste : use it this way & pray...
    - If temperatures or behavior is bad : Repaste & Repad & Pray...

Anyway, for my personal case I'll stick to the "extend-the-Premium-Warranty-before-the-expiration-date" option as this computer is a Dell & it's now a french unit with the swap it will provide some warranty to my company... I talked to the infrastructure manager they'll pay for it even if it's an Alienware... the manager told me that we're only working with Dell anyway...

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I understand partially that postulate, but to me is a matter of cost/risk balance. Some of my laptops are more than 10 years old and they are still running like champs, and I find use for almost all of them. When I bough this laptop I was thinking of using it as my primary computer for 3-4 years, but after that time I was planning to keep using it for other matters for maybe 10 more years as secondary unit. It makes no sense to me paying for such a long warranty time and I haven't done it with my other computers because they are very reliable and the risk of failure is really low. The problem with this system is that the risk of failure is something between unknown and high, which changes completely the formula for calculating the cost/risk value and leans the balance towards being needed to purchase extended warranty.
    This is just my thoughts.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Mechanized Menace likes this.