*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Timoonn

Timoonn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can Dell release a firmware/bios update which limit the current passing thru the mosfets?

Considering the long delivery delay for the 2080 option (almost one month), can we say that no one still have a "fully fixed" computer?

We discuss a lot about faulty 2080's (and some 2070), but whats the rate of failure, how many people have a i9/2080 and use them on heavy load without any problems?

2. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't know if we can say there is still an issue with the 2080.
    I haven't seen the burn issue yet on a machine with the newer mosfets of the 2nd batch, It might have happened, but no one posted here yet.
    All the people we have their machines burned here after the release of the 2nd batch, either had a laptop that was purchased before the 2nd batch, or one ordered from HIDEvolution, who still had in their stock 1st batch machines at that time.

I also say this because I also wish this to be true, as I had a 1st batch machine that died. Now I have a 2nd batch machine on which I had to wait 1 month for. And really don't want it dying on me.

3. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A few pages back, @Donald@HIDevolution reported that they have received burned laptops with the stronger MOSFETs as well, so I don't think it's safe to say that the issue has been fixed in the second/third batch. It seems Dell still has no idea about what the problem is. It could be a combination of multiple factors, like weak MOSFETs, heat, pads not making proper contact, high voltages, long time session under stress/heat/high voltages... No one knows, so everyone is guessing

QUICKSORT, Vasudev, zdroj and 2 others like this.
  4. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As it has been mentioned multiple times machines burn on "idle", it is therefore not thermals. Remember there is smoke and fire here, not some over throttling or a few abrupt shutdowns.

c69k likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    upload_2019-5-23_14-54-52.png
    THIS above. "I Know" is an bold statement. @Donald@HIDevolution said in his last post that even the Area-51M with revised parts burning down. I start wonder what is so very special with his machine vs the ones the others have got (with revised parts). Because it contain exactly same parts as Donald so nice informed also risk run into smoke and fire.
    upload_2019-5-23_14-48-58.png
    I prefer not do the same as the Ostrich. Put it's head in the sand and think this will never happen to me.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  6. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    The lane allotment should be x8 to DGFF, x4 to AGA, x4 to TB3. Having an x8 AGA would be nice but I actually really appreciate having a TB3 port that isn't hanging off the PCH - it just adds additional latency and competes with bandwidth for things like NVMe SSD's, etc, over DMI.

ssj92 and c69k like this.
  7. Mechanized Menace

Mechanized Menace Lost in the MYST

Reputations:
    Getting my laptop today! What's the first thing I should do? Check it out or just go right in and repaste and pad?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you agree that some will have this machine for 5+ years without any issue until it’s sold to someone else who will also use it without an atom of an issue ?

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Of course:) Even many of the Applebooks can have many years in front although they run 100C.

10. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Run dell diags. I would run a few benchmarks and slight undervolt to begin with. This will establish a baseline and make sure the machine is stable and ready for prime time. That way if an issue does occur you don’t have all the time and money wasted on pads etc.