*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Those are hybrid drivers. But in short exactly the same as the “standard” NVIDIA drivers.
    You mean the (old and the revised parts). Both is from bad batch?

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  2. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    could be, they are revising power mosfets, those aren't the only components on the board, so another component could be innocently killing others

3. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This right here. Thankfully I purchased 3 years of warranty with in-home support. I imagine I will have this system at max two years. I typically buy one more year than I plan on keeping it, so when I do the warranty transfer if the person I sell it to comes up with issues they are covered for at least a little while.

I keep crossing my fingers that I don't end up on the burn victim list that this laptop is leaving in its wake.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    More like a worm hole. The instances are few, the vast majority have had no issues.

We do inquire about usage...not sure we always get reliable answers. The balls to the wallers may not want to disclose their uses.

raz8020, S.K, jclausius and 8 others like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    NVIDIA did not manufacture these GPUs. Dell (OEM) contracted with a third-party vendor (ODM) to build them the same as other laptop OEMs do. NVIDIA licenses the technology and provides the core graphics processing chip, but what goes on the PCB and the design of the PCB is up to the OEM/ODM, and the ODM the OEM chooses to mass produce them according to the OEM specifications makes decisions about what brand and style of components are used in the manufacturing process. So, NVIDIA has little to do with the process overall other than the GPU core and general guidance on basic specs that are required, and absolutely nothing to do with QC of the final product. The same is true with desktop GPUs manufactured and sold by AIB partners.

If this problem was the fault of NVIDIA and a result of their design specifications or guidance being improper, we would be seeing other brands of laptops with the same burning GPU problems occurring, and we are not seeing that.

In fact, NVIDIA doesn't even support modular notebook graphics any more. If they had their way, then everything would be a BGA turdbook with the GPU integrated with the motherboard. NVIDIA's withdrawal of support for MXM standards is their fault, and their doing so has really screwed things up for the notebook industry as a whole. But, that's an off-topic rant and we'll end it right there, LOL.

raz8020, steberg, Aroc and 9 others like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    What if we talk about + 1 years down the road? Some People will buy these machines second hand with or without warranty. And some will upgrade what they already have. Aka buy used parts as graphics with almost NO warranty. Even with expired warranty on the whole machine. This is and will be a lottery for many out there. More like Russian roulette. With one, two or three bullets inside the gun. Whom of these 3 different options, you'll never know.

Btw. Two in a row. More need to be fixed.

Alienware Area 51m key cap popping off!
    Just wanted to give everyone on update. My “E” key is broken and pops off all the time. After paying over $2000, waiting for a whole month, and then only having it for less then a week I am very dissatisfied.

Area-51m, rgb keyboard problems
    Having same problem...

7. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for this!

There have been 3 cases (that I've seen on reddit/nbr) of the 2070 dying in the same way the 2080s have been. One of those was mine.

I do hope they figure out what is causing this and fix it ASAP.

8. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With so many GFX expansion cards to choose from, this is only poses a "problem" for laptop users. Obviously there is no market for it. I presume otherwise there is nothing to stop an existing VGA card manufacturer from making whichever smaller format VGA card as a laptop designer might require?

9. Mastah

Mastah Newbie

Reputations:

Hi,

I've just checked my Area m51 and the results are :
    Inlet mosfet: AON 6380 - GL9D24
    GPU mosfet: NPC 303150 - DCK1902
    CPU (+iGPU ?) mosfet: AON Z5038Q15 - TA9G2Y

The inlet mosfet seem different on my computer

Inlet
    [​IMG]

GPU
    [​IMG]

CPU(+iGPU?)
    [​IMG]

raz8020, ssj92, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  10. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Well... that's all ???

Thanks @Donald@HIDevolution for the updated informations.

Seems like Dell don't know what to do with this laptop....

As I've already said just after the tech repaired my unit it with new GC (old batch) it died the next morning on idle... that makes sense know...this problem is 100% random...

With all that randomness what's ensure us that our laptop aren't going BBQ mode after... 1 week...month... year ???

That make me think of the burning Samsung Galaxy Note7 ... but at least as this product was well known... Samsung was forced to do a massive recall...

Unlike this "niche" product...

Well... at least my swapped unit will be shipped with a French invoice this time... I maybe able to use local legislation if it keep dying...

4000$+ directly sent in the trash bin...

Sorry to be rude but... Maybe that's the time to stop selling it for Dell (and HID also btw...) and start a massive recall no ?

raz8020, Sherif_k, Izumka and 2 others like this.