*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Its cheaper than doing an upgrade, has built in remote desktop and you can nerf those pesky windows updates that MS force on "Guinea Pigs", also known as Home Users!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.
  2. Woodking

Reputations:
    To purchase as an upgrade, or still $100 at time of machine purchase?

3. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That is not how TDP works at all unfortunately. 65W and 95W are not representative at all of what these chips actully draw or the heat they produce. They will probably be pretty close in heat production

If heat is your #1 concern , you are far better off getting an unlocked K CPU. You can then down clock if desired. The 8700 is stuck at what it is given (and is probably a poorer binned chip)

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Its better to get low spec CPU and see how it performs rather than getting highly specced CPU that are locked down and OC'ed by AW CC and XTU. But, if A51 really can't handle 8700K/9700K then I bet 9900K won't fare any better. And fun part is, you're allowed only traditional paste rather than LM on IHS.

5. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    $100 to upgrade from Home Premium.

Woodking likes this.
  6. raz8020

raz8020 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

https://ark.intel.com/products/186605/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-Processor-16M-Cache-up-to-5-00-GHz-
    More details in the 8th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.pdf, page 87.

If the power limits can't be unlocked in A51M, then both the 9900K and 9700K will have the same amount of power draw (same heat output) when pushed to the limit. The main difference is that the 9700K has a bit more OC room before it reaches the power limit.

If the laptop will be used mainly for gaming, then 9700k is sufficient.
    Those that use the laptop for both gaming and other CPU intensive productivity tasks (that can efficiently use all the threads), should chose the 9900k, which can be turned into a 9700k (by disabling HT in BIOS) when used for tasks that don't benefit from HT.

7. 1Schumsta1

1Schumsta1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay i phoned customer service from Dell.AT/DE, and they said, that there was a price change and added some more options for the Display (60Hz -> 144 Hz-Gsync+Tobii +300€ ), but this wont effect my order. Price difference from my order: 227€ saving...

c69k and Fire Tiger like this.
  8. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    ? I was saying @Woodking should not get a i7-8700, there is no i7-8700K choice unfortunately.

A locked CPU like the 8700 is a far worse choice than either K cpus offered. You cant tune hardly anything.

AW already released a bois update for overclocking, and power management in the bios.

You can put any paste you want on this too. Just put grey gunk back on before sending it in if there is a problem if you put some shiny LM on it. Dont give 2 cents for whatever Azor or his underlings say about paste nonsense. They have no control whatever in Dells RMA processing. Expect a north Korean regime change before Dell changes their RMA processes. Thay are far from an agile or lean company

9. Woodking

Reputations:
    That was my logic, and it would be more than enough power for me plus I'm not allowed to spend too much :p

I won't do any overclocking, prefer a stable quiet machine that's got a bit more oomph than the one I'm using now, and being able to upgrade it will give it a bit more longuevity.

Not ordered yet, doing the quote stage and waiting for permission from SWMBO.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    dodgehemi0 likes this.
  10. 1Schumsta1

1Schumsta1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay i have also an update on my order: Order has been shipped.. no ETA but i think i will get one soon :D

Update: ETA - 20-FEB-2019 - Order weight 9 KG :D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    ninja2000 and Woodking like this.