*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Ale380

Ale380 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys i am new here, i've been following this thread for a while as last week my 9700k/2080 area51m died. Black screen and burning smell and then it didn't start anymore. First dell cc told me that somebody will come to my place to fix the motherboard (even tho i told them that my gpu died either) then after 20 mins they called me telling me that they cannot fix it and offered me a refund plus a 15% discount on a new purchase. I arranged the pick up for the return but yesterday they cancelled it, instead it will be picked up to be fixed in their labs. So far very disappointed with dell.

2. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    First let me report our own findings regarding the burned units we have received.

“We inspected them and found that even when the GPU has the new revised power inlet MOSFETs and GPU MOSFETs, they still burned out. This was on both nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 and nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 units.

Original power inlet MOSFET: AON 6380-GL8559
    New revised power inlet MOSFET: NIKOS-PK616BA

Original GPU MOSFET: NCP-303151
    New revised GPU MOSFET: NCP-303150

Both 2060 and 2080 units burned regardless of the model/brand of the chip. We have not seen any burned nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 units at this time.

There is no evidence here that either revision of these chips is causing the burning issue we have seen. At this point, while it is clear that the NIKOS-PK616BA and NCP-303150 are the stronger MOSFETs, even they are burning out.”

Our current shipments are all coming with the new GPU MOSFETs, and some with original and some with new power inlet MOSFETs…but most of these are still original.

Based on our experience with Dell support, Dell appears to be taking care of the few users that experience the burned units through their normal warranty process as quickly as possible. They have always been very good about this in most markets.

@S.K. @VoodooChild @HaloGod2012 @Latostno @DannyB513 @Mohammed1824 @Papusan @Mr. Fox @Johnksss @Ultra Male

Please forgive me if I omitted tagging anyone.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    raz8020, GMLP, torax and 24 others like this.
  3. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, the fault is not just in the GPU but the motherboard as well it seems. Also, if both the old MOSFETS and the revised ones are burning, there is more at fault here than just underpowered MOSFETS. At this point of time, its clear that even Dell don't know why the hell their systems are burning out. It has to something in the firmware that is causing these systems to crap out.

My system from Hidevolution shipped today and I was already informed by Donald that my system has the old power inlet MOSFET and revised GPU MOSFET and its upto me whether I wanted to go ahead with the order or not. I told him I'm in it for the long haul. Hahah. Let the witch hunt begin!

Thank you Donald for your great post and guiding me through this long and delayed ordering process.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

hmscott, Mr. Fox, Fire Tiger and 3 others like this.
  4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Sounds like an nVidia QC problem to me. I wonder if Dell relied on nVidia for this process and from the looks of it, it seems that they've not done a good enough job. I'd be sticking to factory power supplies with these units. No third party BS.

5. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    tip: don't install the latest nVIDIA Drivers! Always stick to the nVIDIA Drivers from Dell from the drivers download page of your service tag!

Rei Fukai and VoodooChild like this.
  6. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    U will be surprised some still have the old power and old GpU and knock on wood

As for me from my small engineering background , I believe the issue is just simple yet complex , some components may have not passed full QC check and are passing out when certain spikes of voltage go thru them , could just be bad batch of certain components , which maybe allowing too much current/spikes go thru them when they aren’t supposed to

The solution which is more expensive would be a revised motherboard with sourced components from a specific vendor in other to limit variables that can’t be controlled if sourced from numerous vendors

I use Nvidia DCH Drivers

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2019
    LoneSyndal and Sherif_k like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    + rep Donald.

Maybe the machines with 2060 have problems due th weaker cooling. Dell went cheapo on heatsink for this setup.

I feel sorry for those with this model (risk smoke/fire whatever it’s old or revised parts) after the warranty will expire. Some have spent all their money on the laptop and skipped extended warranty. I think about those that still haven’t experienced the smoke yet. And not forget all those who want upgrade/fix burned out machines later.... See getting parts from second hand sources(used parts).
    As I have said before. Nope! Otherwise would all other ODMs models have same problems!

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  8. Timoonn

Timoonn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So post shortage revised 2080's have burning problems too? or I missed something?

9. Dc_Striker

Dc_Striker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Mine didn’t burn out, now it just doesn’t want to work.

10. alizzleable

alizzleable Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Donald on the note that both of those gpu models are burning out, what is the ratio of burned out machines to those you've sent out to customers that appear to be working fine? Did you guys also inquire as to the usage by your customers i.e. if they undervolted or simply ran it balls to the wall? If you could answer these questions that would be helpful! Mine has had 0 issues so far, but i'm curious as to how deep the rabbit hole is.