*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. VoodooBane

VoodooBane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Furmark is design to burn your monster laptop beyond its limits. Why are we all using this software to "stress" it when it is not the right software to use because this is no A s**** auto-funtion to tells the software to stop? yes you will burn your 3grand laptop out via your burning it beyond it limits. Does anyone know why there is no 4k screen for this model? Well it seems pretty understandable "why" the is no such option. Even if they off it bed before or talked abotu offering it now we know why.

nkc and Papusan like this.
  2. Mechanized Menace

Mechanized Menace Lost in the MYST

Reputations:
    I guess it's a bit confusing because this laptop doesn't use the same cooling design as those systems. You keep bringing up the 17 but I also have a 15 R3 and it uses the same cooling design. It does suck, but I am ok with what I was able to get out of it. Additionally, there are multiple examples of others, myself included, that do not have these same issues. I have had my 15 for over 2 years now. Never serviced and repasted one time.

My point is that Alienware like any other manufacturer has lemons and also has other issues, but unlike some they will actually try to work with you and help you. So, it's a trade off and a risk with any manufacturer no matter the product. Constructive criticism is helpful, but once you lose the constructive part it just because criticism for criticisms sake and that doesn't help anyone.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

VoodooChild and VoodooBane like this.
  3. VoodooBane

Reputations:

Answer to "3" solve this use a copper shim. Copper warps like no other. I learn this on my alienware 17 r3. the boes and warps over time. use a shim to get even pressure.

or you can just stop using these copper heat sinks copper is not good for the whole video pcb. The emite to much radiation of heat . Not to mention v-ram chips and mosfets do not get at hot on and direct PU die. The way to cool this are with Alum. using full copper just spreads the heat everywhere. using a dedicated heatpipe to the fan heatfins is what needs to happen to take care of the vrams. these chip are potted with epoxy the all the heat goes into the into the pcb itself. that is why the area51m uses this the carbon sheet with the filler pad to keep the board cool.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2019
    Mechanized Menace likes this.
  4. Timoonn

Timoonn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In France delivery time is 9 - 11 days with a 2070 and it crank up to 25 - 29 days for a 2080 setup.

Nomadsan74 likes this.
  5. VoodooBane

Reputations:
    What power supplies do you use? 240 and 330? I want his laptop but I would immediately buy an additional 330watt psu. (i do not know if the bios rejects this though)

I looks like the laptop is only design go up to a certain power. Linus did a youtube video a custom liquid cooling the laptop would not go above the normal as what you have. After watching that video from what happened. The laptop has a limit on the CPU and the GPU regardless on how cool it is. so only way is 2 x 330watt PSU if is the ONLY problem to jump over.

Noted: I really like that Linus is actual doing DIY and using cnc to be able to actually do this experiment

Time to get pull out my Quick 861DW . WHO IS READY FOR AN MOSFET UPGRRAAADEEE!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2019
    gokujou likes this.
  6. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have a 180w and 330w but from what I've seen on these forums it has been mentioned that even with 2x 330w it won't draw anymore power.

S.K and Papusan like this.
  7. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I hereby confirm that .... RTX 2080 on a French Setup (et c'est bien embêtant....) :

upload_2019-5-21_18-41-52.png

Other question guys... as I have now the time to prepare the arrival of my machine...

I got two Samsung NVME 960 Evo 1 Tb I would like to put inside, as my swapped unit have one M.2 SSD already shipped in (256 GB unit), It will already be equiped with M.2 heatsink, but I will lack another heatsink for the second SSD :

I heard somewhere on this topic that the part number for this heatsink is 3N3W3 but i can't find it on ebay or amazon...

There's also this reference : JV98R

But it's very costly : https://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-Alien...948105?hash=item1cc66a6e49:g:WQUAAOSwe9VcNn-h

Anyone have an idea of how can I get this unit at the best price in Europe or what could easely replace this part ?

8. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you bro, you're doing God's work here. The old thread was closed sadly and I understand your sentiment behind it but if you could keep sharing these updated drivers with us regularly, the entire thread (owners) would be highly obliged to you.

By the way, the 15"calibrated AUO profile you've shared in the other thread works for this panel too?

One more request brother, if you have the recent windows back up with your tweaks and fixes (telemetry shut down, image viewer updates etc.), can you share it with us? Is it possible? I love that thread of yours where you've shared all your tweaks but I doubt I'll find the time to go through all of them when my system arrives. I had followed the whole thread in my current M17xR3 and Windows has run super smoothly until today.
    If by any chance you can share your debloated windows 10 with us, if will great brother. If possible that is.
    Cheers man

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Hey buddy, I don't have any backups other than the factory image from Dell Middle East (localized for the UAE). I found that to give me the best performance vs a clean install believe it or not. I just updated all the drivers but first I uninstalled all the old ones using Revo Uninstaller, Display Driver Uninstaller for nVIDIA, and Killer Software Uninstaller for the Killer Drivers then I installed all the latest ones then I did all the tweaks.

When your machine comes, let me know.

Fire Tiger likes this.
  10. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The best way us to get it from Dell themselves. Or Hidevolution can also sell it to you for a slightly higher price. I got it from Hidevolution themselves while ordering the system.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk