*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have for 30 minutes at 5GHz for burn-in test when I first received it for each test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darkhan and nkc like this.
  2. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can explain in more detail. For the last two weeks my laptop has been plugged into the Graphics AMP and never used outside of this setup. I had noticed that my laptop 2080 device in device manager had a warning on it, but just had (wrongly) assumed this was due to the Graphics AMP being installed with my 2080ti.

The first day I pull it off the Graphics amp and use it at a customers site it starts exhibiting symptoms similar to the failures that others had been experiencing. In the end, it appears to have just been a driver issue (for now) and I don't have anything more drastic going on. I didn't believe that my AGA caused issues. Does that clear it up?

c69k likes this.
  3. VoodooBane

VoodooBane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A good question here to see if the cpu can do highvoltages and etc. Has anyone used the AGA to a RTX 2080 or RTX 2080TI to see is the cpu goes higher since the internal 2070/2080 is disabled at this point. and all cooling goes to dedicated to the cpu? and can it be overclock and the Vin is like the a desktop setup?

4. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you keep an extinguisher close by... 30 is solid as far as am concerned on a laptop with monster parts ... Awesome

But am sure u won’t run Furmark, that’s instant death even to some desktop systems , I wonder what the programmer intended when creating such an application

Vasudev likes this.
  5. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don’t know if our VRMs are hardcore enough

6. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I find Furmark to be a pointless test and all it does is destroy instead of stress. It was how I fried my first gaming laptop’s 680m (Clevo P150EM). Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raz8020, S.K, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  7. clayton006

clayton006 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My CPU or cooling is a turd even after a repaste. I can't go much above 4.6 all cores without getting into the 90's with fans on full and a -.125 on cache and core. That's with my AGA plugged in.

8. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I couldn’t agree more

VoodooBane likes this.
  9. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Completely wrong.
    This exact thing was happening on MSI laptops and people were using *Kryonaut*! Even in some cases, liquid metal.
    Go ask @Ultra Male yourself. And I doubt you're going to win an argument with him.

So let me correct you:
    3: Convex heatsinks combined with convex BGA CPU silicon=uneven pressure, uneven heat=high core temp differentials=dry out of paste on the two hot cores. Fixing that requires modding or sanding.

10. VoodooBane

VoodooBane Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I maybe not be the VRAMs. See this twitter post https://twitter.com/gregory_craane/status/1121318382723391488. Well they replace the Resistor shunts the same ones you see in a full size desktop card.

Worse case scenario the problem is the components on the DGFF is that the design was rushed and the need to redesign the card. just they replacing the shunt tells me there the cards are not getting the optimal resistance or there is but much power being delivered. thus meaning the design is not complete and new rev needs to be released...