*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could they?
    @S.K So 19.5V directly goes to the dgff board?

2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    It's a little complicated. While the part itself is compatible, the max specs are not in a high enough margin from spikes and fluctuations in power lines that can be received from the main power rail on the motherboard. It's always a safe practice to use parts that provide a safe margin to the components that it is powering so that it doesn't encounter boundary cases that often. Cutting cost by putting components that are barely meeting or slightly exceeding the required specs in the circuit is always a bad decision.

Nothing goes in directly, there are several stages between the main power inlet and the DGFF. But the mosfets on DGFF drive the 2080 chip and when it demands for more power under load, it's the job of the mosfets to keep up and sometimes the margin of error is simply not there when you place low end parts in a circuit that could easily challenge them. 2080 is a very demanding and power hungry chip and things can get A LOT trickier at higher frequency and high temps where capacitors and inductances are involved. This is why keeping a higher margin of error capability in power components is so important. I have a strong gut feeling that some of these RTX 2080 chips from nVidia could also be at fault as they just rushed these out. I wouldn't be surprised that some of them are demanding more power than they should from the daughter board under load.

nkc likes this.
  3. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Many companies cut corners sadly nowadays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.K likes this.
  4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Cutting costs is a part of doing business, but cutting too much can bite back in the rear end as Dell must be experiencing now with all these replacements and service lines staying busy 24/7. They will spend a lot more than they could have saved with this move lol.

I personally think that we should still appreciate Dell that they have created DGFF all on their own and they just received chips from nVidia. If they had sticked to nVidia's design then they could have claimed for all these damages from them, but they made a bold and brave move by going their own route and I respect and appreciate that decision a lot. This is the first iteration of DGFF and so far things are looking VERY well, even if we include the failures that we have seen. I don't see any other company out there who had the nerve to create their own graphics form factor to make modular cards for their flagship machines. The nVidia factor could be real here as Dell could have designed the circuit considering that nVidia chips will all perform within specs and will not draw more power than nVidia claims at certain speeds. They should have taken their word with a grain of salt, which I am sure they always will from this point onwards.

nkc likes this.
  5. JAGGERBREAD

Reputations:
    lol what if DELL realizes the dgff gaming graphics is an unsuccessful move, so they finally cancelled doing that in the future models.
    I guess there won't be RTX 3080 for the area 51m any more:D

raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  6. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh like I said , even if my one explodes , I will get another , I love AW to the death , small explosions are part of business ...... lol

Maybe rev2 51m will come with that and all they have learnt from rev 1

S.K and Fire Tiger like this.
  7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    That is why we should all stop being what most of us are being against Dell these days and show a little appreciation. Good things are happening and we should appreciate when we see some positive things being done by big companies. If Dell pulls the plug on the modular grahpics for this laptop or any future ones, the entire blame will be on us because there is so much lack of appreciation around here.

nkc and Fire Tiger like this.
  8. JAGGERBREAD

Reputations:
    Yeah, but as customers, we pay the price for what we needed.
    DELL as a global company should do the entire APQP systematically. They have design verification and production verification before production. During the verification period, they should control carefully the Yield and make the samples qualified for mass production.
    There is still no accurate statistic for the burning issues and we are not sure how good DELL has done for the mass production.
    If the reject ratio crosses some certain criteria line and no practical improvement could be implemented, we can conclude the product is a failure(Samsung Note 7).

raz8020 and Papusan like this.
  9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Yeah but that would have taken probably another 6 months to launch this machine. Even though all that you said is mostly true, I'd still take it easy, unless they refuse to replace somebody's dead computer which so far they haven't done.

10. Tony Olsson

Tony Olsson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The rtx 2080 is avaleble to order again on the Dell website. So....is it fixed now? I will go for the 2070 though..maby change to 3080 next year if possible.