*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    This is an awful situation for those who want upgrade or looking for used spare parts after the warranty has expired. They risk a ticking bomb if they can’t afford new parts from Dell.

2. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Exactly..

Papusan likes this.
  3. giltee

giltee Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just found out that my replacement system, for my 9900/2080 that died last week, won't be arriving until 6/25, 6 weeks after my system died (which happened after only a week of use). So I placed my order on 4/29, and I am in effect not going to have a machine until 6/25. Hopefully this next one won't die.

hmscott and S.K like this.
  4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Option 1.

5. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    :DDid anyone here try liquid metal on the GPU of area-51m, how did you guys apply it.:rolleyes:

6. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I tried, but found that it was not creating any miraculous differences because the cooler is the bottleneck here, not the thermal paste. 1/1.5 degrees celcius for all that hassle isn't worth it. I ended up removing it altogether and sticking to Gelid GC Extreme for now. My temps are great!

c69k likes this.
  7. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks, SK
    guess i won't suggest my customer to do that any more besides it's still risky

S.K likes this.
  8. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Unless the Dell credit comes with a huge benefit like a 20% bonus for taking the credit over the cash refund, I'd get the cash refund and sit and think about it for a while before committing the funds to another purchase.

I wouldn't be in a rush to commit to a purchase right away. Other better options might be coming down the road...

Committing to the Dell credit, even with a 20% bonus still commit's you to a Dell purchase, which could be limiting should you find something else you want elsewhere.

Dell sells other stuff though, so +20% bonus in credit could be spent on other Dell products should you find a laptop, desktop, or some other replacement for the Area 51m.

Also, make sure the Alienware Credit can be spent on any Dell product...

raz8020 and Joikansai like this.
  9. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Yeah. Once a foam dam leaked on me a couple of years back when my laptop was in the trunk of a taxi and I found out after I started getting random shutdowns later in the day. I had to give it a deep bath in 90% isopropyl alcohol with a tooth brush followed by ultrasonic cleaning to get it to work again. I got lucky that it didn't burn! The foam dams are good, but one minor imperfection is all it takes. Mine lost their shape and firmness under heat and a tiny ball slipped through as the laptop took some harsh bumps in the taxi trunk that day. The only workaround I found to work best is to seal off the foam dam's outer wall with silicon sealant and stick it to both the PCB and the heat sink with liquid electrical tape to get a nice seal. All that hassle is not worth it to achieve just 1 degree cooler GPU!

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    MogRules, propeldragon and hmscott like this.
  10. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Option 1 for sure. It's good that the system is delayed because I can tell you for a fact that the newer batches will not have these issues. The delay is from nVidia's end as well as Dell.
    Also, I have it on good authority that the system affected are less than 1% of the total units shipped out by Dell and that's why you'll see many users here still driving their February delivered systems without any issues. Your warranty will get renewed as well, contact Frank via DM and he will sort you out if some issue arises in the future. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Take it as a blessing in disguise mate, my order was placed on 23rd March and I'm still waiting for my system to be shipped out by Hidevolution two months after the payment was cleared. The Area 51m is getting rigorous testing by Hidevolution employees I'm told and they're taking extra precautions so that the customer don't have to deal with the process of waiting for a replacement like you've mentioned.
    In any case, the June batches of 2080 based Area 51m should be more stable than their initial units. By the way, the delay is not just for you, its across the entire Dell websites worldwide if you order it with a 2080.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

S.K likes this.