*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. warcobra

warcobra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    propeldragon and S.K like this.
  2. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    9900/9900T etc are the R0 Intel refresh CPUs with some integrated security hardware changes...newer 9900K etc will also be R0.

3. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yup. Play around with the thickness though. I added 0.2mm sheet and it does a decent job. If you go too thick, say 1mm, then there might not be enough space under the audio board. Test it out to see if you need more. I found 0.5mm to be a snug fit but 0.2 turned out to be just enough. How much you need primarily depends upon the ambient temps and heat profile of the components.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    propeldragon likes this.
  4. LegionWolf

LegionWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dell rep I chatted with said system comes with heat sinks on drives already. So isn’t it possible to just reuse?

5. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Only if you buy it from Dell with SSD's on. If you buy the base model without the SSD's and then put drives later yourself then you'll have to buy separately.

6. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    The Dell ones are not that special. You can always find a aftermarket one. :)

S.K likes this.
  7. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Aftermarket ones will need certain "mods" to keep them from separating off as you put the laptop in the trunk of your car and hit a pot hole. The Dell ones have a groove that locks the heat sink into the rib cage above the drive so that it stays in place no matter how much the laptop jumps around. So just have to keep that in mind while buying aftermarket ones.

8. alizzleable

alizzleable Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I’ve had this laptop for a little over a week and it’s been amazing. I undervolted my 9700k to 140.6 and overclocked it to 4.9 all cores and it has been stable in anything for hours of gameplay. I also have the gpu curve set at 937mv running at 1950 mhz (it only runs at 1937) but my system basically never gets hotter than 80C on both the graphics and processor gpu only runs 80 in anthem I believe. It was repasted using IC diamond from XOTIC PC. But damn if this isn’t quality I’m not sure what is. Minus the potential that it’ll catch on fire.... but hey I’m not even sure I won’t catch on fire on a daily basis

S.K and VoodooChild like this.
  9. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    This might be the LGA MSI but expect some time for it to come out.

40C on load?? Sounds too good to be true. Maybe he can run those benchmarks for us.

Please let me know if you solve the Mobile Connect issue. I also have the same issue.

So basically we have non unlocked 9700/9900 now?

Should there be any performance difference between the older CPUs and the new R0 refresh CPUs?

Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah, exactly. Hence I tagged you in:) Some variance between different ssd brands but not so much within the same brand.

Vasudev likes this.