*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ahanganu

ahanganu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello again and thanks everyone for the feedback.
    About undervolting, any suggested values? I applied a maximum penalty right now - from 1.205 to 1.12 - it's actually the lowest possible value for the CPU. Should I tamper with Voltage offset too? Oddly enough after the undervolt in ACC when performing the test the voltage went to 1.4V and the temperature to 100 deg C. I honestly have no clue how these things scale up/down, I imagine it's not a linear function, if anyone can give some clues on what performance drop I could expect it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm getting the afterburner app for doing the same to the GPU, any suggested values?

Thanks

2. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1845 mhz at 900mV

Hi Donald
    Has Dell provided the corrective action plan yet?

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2019
  3. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    upgrade ^^

[​IMG]

@Papusan now i can get 8X degree @5.2ghz too! :p

4. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does the copper IHS work? I thought the height difference was too large and it made heatsink uneven?

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    We aren't supposed to question, or even ask these kind of questions of the mods, that's what I am told each time I question a confusing mod action. It happens more infrequently to me than it used to (thank you Mods), but it still happens.

Now, I just go back in and try to edit the flow so it makes more sense - moving posts up or down in sequence within the blob to approximately where they were in sequence originally, and some times adding spoiler brackets to shorten the blob.

Long ago I used to worry people would think I put that huge blob of articles together on purpose, doing it originally myself, it's now happened so many times I just now thought of it for the first time in a long time. I've been broken... o_O

Occasionally - much more rarely these days - someone comments I post a lot to "bump up my post count", which is ridiculous - why would I care? But, maybe this is the reason or purpose to what the mods are doing? Reducing the post count by combining posts?

Maybe there is a maximum count of posts per thread and combining posts forestalls the inevitable meltdown? Could be? ;)

Now I just roll with it, so hang in there, it's not just you @Donald@HIDevolution

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    jclausius, Darkhan, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  6. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    can you post a source for this claim? Havent read it here. Cpu is not mounted yet. Wait for replacement board and gpu due to coil whine.

7. ahanganu

ahanganu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [UNDERVOLT DISCUSSION]

I'm just tagging the replies to help a bit with discussion following.

I ended up using XTU and going to 1.1 V core voltage for CPU. Stress test got it to 95 deg, touched throttling a couple of times, I'll leave it like this until I get time for more research and benchmarking.

Unfortunately I can't seem to convince MSI Afterburner to let me undervolt the GPU too. I've tried all the "Unlock voltage control" drop-down variants to no avail. Any tips? Am I missing something? Does it need to run in 'Kernel mode'?

upload_2019-5-17_8-17-39.png

hmscott likes this.
  8. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

9. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not yet...we will report once it happens. Keep in mind I said they would make an official statement and plan of action...I didn't say they would do so publicly.

10. Sherif_k

Sherif_k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

This is exactly what I wanted to hear :D