*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Not really the case with the AON mosfets if you take into account all of the specs (including junction to case thermal resistance, max pulsed drain current and max drain current as that direct affects how hot it will get and how much noise it will introduce on the power rail by doing so). When these things run hot, they can create a havoc on the power rail across the entire circuit and the lower the gap between max power specs and max input amps, the hotter it will run. It's a good idea to NOT test your luck with these 6380 mosfet chips. Stick to stock PSUs. P.S., it will not increase the amount of available power for your machine in any way because both the CPU and the GPU have their own power delivery circuitry that is independent of the incoming amps (unless you have just one PSU giving amperage that is not enough for the computer. That's the only scenario where performance will be affected). Plus (and it's a BIG plus!) DO NOT go for third party PSUs that have peak to peak ripple of 200mV or higher! The situation is bad enough already, don't invite the angel of death.

Why I say the margin is not enough? Well I happened to design a lot of circuits back in the day and what looks good on paper, is usually far from reality. Just like every CPU is not created equal, not every mosfet is created equal either. The closer you run it to it's full specs, the higher the rate of failure can be. A mosfet rated at 24A max for drain current could largely differ within the production batch and some of them could easily get too hot at 18-20 Amps (even below that, talk about crappy QC on these parts!) while introducing unwanted noise into the output signal. Circuits that carry high frequency components do not like noise very much and it should be kept as low as possible otherwise strange things can happen when components start running at their full speeds. This is why a safe design practice is to stay at least 15-20 amps below the max specs of the part being used. On paper designs that look good don't always work the best in real life.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  2. LegionWolf

LegionWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Definitely stock issue with 2080’s

Spoke with frank on messenger. My order got pushed a little over week just other day.

He thinks will actually be 2-3 weeks due to stock :(

Rei Fukai and hmscott like this.
  3. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Not sure which Mod is editing and combining our posts...Will the Mod doing it please stand up and explain the purpose? Have we violated any rules...or??

4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    That means 2-3 months. :D

It depends upon your specific processor. I can happily undervolt to -95mV at 5GHz across all cores and it's VERY stable. My laptop is on for the last 2 days now without any shutdown or sleep time. No issues what so ever! My overclock is from BIOS and I only use intel XTU to undervolt it. It is optional though as you can do the entire procedure from within XTU as well.

As far as windows updates go, disable Microsoft updates for hardware components on your machine.

As far as stability goes, I'd like to mention here that some laptop cooling pads can also create issues. I noticed this in my case as my old cooling pad with 5 fans had a USB pass through which I used to plug my mouse in so one USB cable was powering the entire cooling pad + mouse. It gave me random crashes. I have taken this cooling pad off now and connected my mouse directly which got rid of the errors and abrupt shutdowns as soon as I plugged the USB cable. This pad is roughly 3 years old now and has served me well. May be I'll let it go and get a new one or connect it to an external usb wall charger.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2019
    Xatanú likes this.
  5. Virale

Virale Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can someone help me figure it what this device is?

I’ve reinstalled all drivers and that didn’t solve it.

[​IMG]

6. Virale

Reputations:
    Also, I cannot record macros. I found a Dell support article that says Alienware Command Center 5.2.29.0 doesn’t support TactX and I can’t click the macro button in AWCC, so I can’t even try to record something. My macro buttons are useless.

[​IMG]

I’m out of ideas! Wth is going on???

7. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    Paste the hardware ID from the details tab.

When did you place your order and where are you located? US?

8. Virale

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

9. Virale

Reputations:
    I think it’s Nvidia USB Type-C crap, I’ll get it installed and see what happens

That’s what it was. Thanks for the HardwareIDs idea!

This is still a problem for me though...

Found an Alienware YouTube video about fixing control center which doesn’t really apply, but I basically nuked everything and reinstalled.

Macros are working again, but the “Settings” button is non functional and remains gray/unclickable. Can anyone confirm you can click the “Settings” button and tell me/show me a pic of what you see?

[​IMG]

Thank you!

10. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree with you. Simply saying the 24A should be enough if AON can provide stable OQC and the current pulled from adapter is stable at 24 Amp. Otherwise, failure could occur.
    So I don't thinking the sourcing AON 6380 is a design failure (Predator 21x also used that), much more like a QC failure for dell.

And for KP616BA, MAN that's 10 times more expensive than the weak 6380
    BGA reworking requires more beefier components so they just used that

Above all, no change in mosfet will take place if there is a a so-called Correct Action in the future.

S.K likes this.