*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. jks87

jks87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Its down to this in 9900K and 2080 vs. Raider ge75 new 8 core

I will buy from HID

If alienware:

White or black?

I love the white one. Is the discoloring really bad or not? Looks super visually. tired of black laptops

Know if new batches are stabile?

price of both systems is about the same.

2. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I got the black but only because there was no white in stock. I'd get the white if I had to do it all over again, looks much much nicer.

Darkhan likes this.
  3. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any of you know how to get rid of this?
    [​IMG]
    I'm already on BIOS 1.5.0 and don't want Windoze to mess with firmware updates. Is there a way to remove this update from the list of pending? I tried with "windows update troubleshooter" that supposedly lets you disable (hide) the updates you select but it's doing nothing.
    Thanks in advance

5GHz in all cores? -100mV @ 5GHz in all cores seems to much undervolt to me, at that frequency my system can only take -60mV at most without crashing, and in full load I get thermal throttling even with fans at max power. Can you share your settings on TS/XTU?
    Thanks

4. Korben_Dallas

Korben_Dallas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    in case of poor motherboard and dgff, can the use of two 330w power supplies make things worse?

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You should be happy you went with Black! http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1010#post-10906787

Maybe try the same to stop Dell's sick ide cooperate with micro$oft
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/xps-15-9570-owners-thread.817008/page-262#post-10902101

How to Prevent Windows from Automatically Updating Specific Drivers

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...t-a-driver-update-from-reinstalling-in-window

An eye-opener. Dell's policy, BIOS update breaks motherboard CMOS. How will they treat customers with expired warranty after forced firmware updates via Win update (if you brick your mashine).
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...3-owners-lounge.797884/page-881#post-10911005
    upload_2019-5-17_2-50-11.png

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  6. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I finished comparing the LG and AUO panels, here is what I observed:

LG panel has a more creamy or yellow tint to the whites. It’s bright, and remains bright even when viewing at different angles. Colors are good as well even at extreme viewing angles.

The AUO has whiter whites and the colors seem just as good as the LG, the AUO I have is a little brighter, but only when sitting directly in front of it. Any shift from side to side and it darkens a lot. Both panels are great, but I like cool colors and very white whites so the AUO is better for me. The AUO also does a better job in darker games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jclausius, nkc and Fire Tiger like this.
  7. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No errors. (late reply; new work shift)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.K likes this.
  8. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's fine. The DC to DC step-down MOS can take 24 Amp. which is way larger than the adapter can offer (16.9 Amp).
    Qsd and Qgd is the major factor to evaluate a MOS durability if other specs like drain current and avalanche power are under control
    Someone here has mentioned that there was a beefier components for the board. I just want to say that's DELL's normal operation for the BGA rework board (My OEM Renbao friend told me about that).
    There will not be an updated dc MOS according to my information.

Also, Dell always has tons of excuses to refuse warranty. If you are in China, you may find the excuses sometimes funny.
    The latest funny DELL reported from my customer (I'm a 3rd party Dell retailer in China) is the customer use decals on the machine causing internal thermal failure lol.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
    c69k and Rei Fukai like this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Maybe this has changed - or is different in your region, but that is why I mentioned refusing Dell credit and demanding an immediate cash (credit card / original payment method) refund.

I believe as soon as you have accepted the Dell credit, you can't convert back to cash. Maybe if you call right away and request cash / immediate refund instead of the credit it's not too late?

It's been a while, but I recall them offering more for credit than refund, extracting a restocking fee, but demanding full refund back to your payment method works. Involving the credit card company if it gets delayed - don't let them delay you - even mentioning involving the credit card company can get the refund unstuck and restocking free waived.

I think you can spend it anywhere at Dell, but there might be limitations (ask Dell for specifics) on the items - and check if you can spend the Dell credit at the Dell Clearance Center too, a good place for savings.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Oh I must have read it wrong then. And damn! That HP drive looks amazing! I will have to dig more into it. These flagship NVMes are coming out at such a fast pace that it's hard to keep up haha! Can't complain about it though! Probably it's time to upgrade! :D

Edit: I just checked some of the benchmarks and it seems that it is not as good as the Samsung one in random reads and writes, so it's a mixed bunch. No real kings here, just top dogs. Upgrade can wait for a while.
    https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/8870/hp-ex950-ssd-review-want-fastest/index2.html

You will have to enable third party GPU support in it, there are plenty of guides available on internet regarding how to do that.

I'm buying a separate black chassis just to get rid of the yellowing problem, even though I have a vinyl on my palm rests now. Still, thinking of putting the original chassis away in the box and using it with the black one. When it will be time to sell, I'll slap the original chassis back on and sell in mint condition.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019