*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Also, because most of them had underpowered mosfets either on the GPU (NCP-303151 instead of NCP-303150 on the GPU) and AON ones on the mobo. Mosfets and other power components on the circuit should be one thing that should be TOTALLY exempted from cost-cutting revisions of the circuits before they go in production. The fatter, the better in this case. Of course, keeping in mind the size and thermal + noise constraints.

2. giltee

giltee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    In other words: caveat emptor.

3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    If they did, this will be like running a v8 on just 4 cylinders just because a random grandma can't handle the acceleration. It will move but it will no longer fly. I wouldn't want that to happen AT ALL. Power control should be an option that should be given to the user to control via a sophisticated piece of software out of the factory, so that users can make their own decision. It shouldn't be one-fits-all because that situation will suck.

nkc likes this.
  4. warrenLX

warrenLX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    l

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Responsible gaming is a more suitable word to use. But in this case, to some extent, yes. Once the fix comes out though, this will be a totally different situation.

6. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    New motherboards for everyone

LoneSyndal and c69k like this.
  7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I'd like to keep mine. :D

nkc likes this.
  8. giltee

giltee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just to keep everyone updated for whatever value it is, I received a notice from customer support stating that I'll receive a follow-up regarding processing a replacement in the next 24-48 hours.

Given the latest info here (thanks, @S.K.), I'm worried that getting this system right will require a motherboard redesign--that makes me think that there's no way Dell could possibly send me an out-of-the-box solid 9900/2080 anytime soon, and I don't want to lose my ability to get a refund on this purchase, so I'm thinking I might cancel the exchange and just go with a refund at this point. The two factors going into my decision are going to be the update from Dell that Donald referred to (hopefully that comes in the next 24-48 hours) and whatever the exchange email from Dell says.

9. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can also confirm that Dell is scheduled to release a public statement tomorrow. I would've put up the email I received this morning but it will be against the forum rules at this point. Be patient for another 24-48 hours, you'll have a definite answer soon.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

10. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mind Pm’ng a summarized version of the email ?