*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. DeeX

DeeX THz

Reputations:
    Does this mean that ALL manufactured A51M systems currently in production have these flaws? I have 3 on order currently for friends & family. One just arrived today and two are seemingly delayed due to a 2080 shortage.

2. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can count on me. Although, my system is already coming with their thermal upgrades, so I'll only open her up if I'm not satisfied with the thermals of this system otherwise my $80 upgrade would go down the drain. ;)

In any case, I'm sure it is only a matter of time before something screws up within the system and a Dell technician shows up at my place with replacement boards without any thermal grease and I'll have to repaste the sucker myself. Seen it way too many times....

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote possibly! My advice is to run the system you already have in hyperdrive mode and see if it doesn't crap out. If it does, you will know which "batch" you received. :)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
    S.K likes this.
  3. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    That is correct.
    Way to get the word out!

4. MH01

MH01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Guys,

Is there a way to determine if you have a AUO or LG panel in the Area 51m?

Thanks

5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Look in HWiNFO64. It will tell you which panel you have under "Monitor" section.

That sounds like a really bad idea to me.

If I were you, I'd wait for a while before going forward with it at this point in time. Unless you can personally make sure which motherboards and which parts you are getting in your computers, you could get anything and it would last for God knows how long. And every single one of these will need to be undervolted, there is no question about it. This chassis and cooling solution cannot cool them both running at full voltages, unless the laptop is floating in a bucket of liquid nitrogen.

hmscott likes this.
  6. JAGGERBREAD

JAGGERBREAD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi SK
    I notice that you have experienced some thermal issue last month regarding the gpu running 86-87c under heavy load without undervolt. Did you figure it out now after several parts replacements?

7. giltee

giltee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Sorry, don't know. I didn't make any adjustments--perhaps it was foolish to think this thing should work as advertised out of the box.

8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Yes, this had multiple factors contributing to it. A big factor was the old motherboard that I was using, as I have stated in this post. Plus, it was a slightly warped heat sink which was replaced as well. On top of that, the DGFF connector had some bent pins in it which was later on replaced (that could or could not affect temps, who knows). The biggest factor was the unstable power delivery which led to gpu clock fluctuations which produces heat as well as shortens the life of electrical components. I couldn't have achieved mid 70 temps with the old motherboard no matter how much I tried. The coolest I managed to attain on that was I think 79 degrees in an air-conditioned room. And that was never stable. GPU kept crashing randomly giving warnings even with TDR disabled. The unstable PCIe bus must also have contributed to this mess as I run a slight overclock while gaming (limit OC, not hard OC with fixed frequencies). But that's all gone now and my GPU is running nice and cool with liquid metal, VERY stable at 1950 MHz at 937mV. Occasionally jumps up to 1980-1995 MHz but that's GPU boost and it tells me that I have a LOT more overclocking room which I don't really want to use until I feel the need for it.

This is a desktop replacement with monster parts. You can't expect it to run like a maxq laptop. This thing needs your full attention when it is running. A good thermal solution and an undervolt is a must in any case, irrespective of what anyone's expectations for out of the box laptops are.

Fire Tiger and giltee like this.
  9. giltee

giltee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Correct--I did not undervolt or overclock. Just swapped out the Killer 1550 for the Killer 1650 and other than that installed a bunch of games, my Logitech mouse and headphones, and a new printer. Didn't mess with the AW or Killer control centers other than to open them up and skim the different info they displayed.

S.K likes this.
  10. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh they make a new bios that keeps the volt much lower ?