*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. warcobra

warcobra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I was looking back at the Thermal pads everyone was going to use. So basically for this laptop I will be getting some fujipoly Ultra Extreme's. A set of ( .5mm, 1mm). Does that sound about right? Also my laptop was delayed just now till the 29th. Because of two items 2080 and the motherboard. So I am guessing that I may just get all revised parts.

2. giltee

giltee Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Correct—I didn’t make any changes, over or under.

VoodooChild and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    As long as laying one over the other doesn't short connections, and cause heat buildup that will interfere with the Wifi - intermittant function - or M.2 card operation - thermal throttling - it "might" be ok.

I'd not do that for the above reasons, and the possibility that the M.2 card would hit the case bottom - or bouncing around the case bottom would flex and apply pressure to the m.2 card which would then press against the chassis and Wifi card. It's all pretty close tolerances usually, so there isn't room between the chassis and the case bottom for much to slip between.

If you do try it, use some kind of non-conductive tape / barrier between the two cards, double layer of mylar tape on the part of the m.2 card directly covering the Wifi / chassis, maybe another double layer on the Wifi card area covered and across the chassis brace if covered.

Not sure why you need to do this, as I'd simply sell the "too long" m.2 and buy an 80mm m.2 SSD that does fit, if you do please make sure to secure it from bounces and jostles - maybe use some foam between the case bottom and chassis to secure it from flopping around inside when transporting the laptop.

Photo's please if you do it, so we can see the results. :)

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Fire Tiger and Papusan like this.
  4. warrenLX

warrenLX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What was the temp you are at

5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I didn't like the idea of an IHS that is not sealed. What matters when re-sealing is that how much sealant you put between the IHS and the PCB and how quickly you do the job. If one puts too much and then doesn't do a quick enough job, it dries up and does not get fully compressed even if the CPU stays in the relid tool or gets installed straight in the socket. The key is to apply a VERY thin layer of sealant on just a couple of edges, just enough to hold it in place for later, and then clamp it down for a few hours. Once it has "seated", then it can be "filled" around the edges with as much sealant as one wants. There will be no contact issues this way.

RAM and SSD issues are usually related to other factors as well, but such huge circuits can be complex and a catastrophic failure can lead to some unexpected results when one analyzes it, so it could be partly the reason. But in my case my Ram died on it's own. It was 2 years old, and other memory sticks from the same kit are still running. I sent it back to Corsair and they have already shipped out a replacement as this is a lifetime warrenty stick with Samsung memory chips on it.

I did some benchmarks of my own.

OS disk (Samsung 970 Pro 1TB - Half for Windows, half for CentOS)
    [​IMG]

Second disk (Samsung 960 Pro 2TB - For data, games etc)
    [​IMG]

Third disk (Samsung 860 Evo 4TB - For Big stuff and multimedia)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
    Fire Tiger and iunlock like this.
  6. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Regarding the nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 GPU fix vs. the power inlet MOSFETs 'fix', I have this to report.

I, and the entire staff at HIDevolution sincerely apologize for giving inaccurate information to our customers, and forum members.

We gave the information we received from Dell, which turns out to be only partially accurate, just as @S.K. stated. It addressed the GPU only, and not the power inlet MOSFETS. It may even turn out to be totally inaccurate if there is an additional fix for the nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080. We will know very soon when Dell makes their official reply and plan of action.

The good news is, thanks to @S.K., we were able to take the case to the right places at Dell, and had the patience and persistence to get what I hope will be an acceptable resolution.

The Notebookreview rules state "Do not post content from private correspondence, such as email or chat, within the forums." So all I can say is...

We do now have written assurance from Dell that they have recognized and acknowledged the issue, and are currently working on an official reply and plan of action. We believe it will only affect Alienware Area-51M with the nVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080.

The target is to release the reply and plan of action tomorrow. If it doesn't happen tomorrow, it will be very shortly thereafter. They now get it.

@VoodooChild @HaloGod2012 @Latostno @DannyB513 @Mohammed1824 @Papusan @Mr. Fox @Johnksss @Ultra Male

Please forgive me if I omitted tagging anyone.

DreDre, raz8020, Nomadsan74 and 23 others like this.
  7. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is good news. Better late than never.

I hope they do come out with a statement and plan of action.

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to hearing what they have to say.

hmscott and S.K like this.
  8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Thanks @Donald@HIDevolution for this post. It's refreshing to see that HIDevolution is being transparent about this and their previous repasting mistakes. I wish Dell learns a thing or two about transparency from you guys as well.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    DreDre, raz8020, jclausius and 5 others like this.
  9. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks Donald,

I've always appreciated your honesty and that's why I chose to take my business to Hidevolution in the first place, because of you.

It's good to know that a "fix" is being worked upon and makes me personally feel a lot better as you already know, I'm expecting a new 2080-based Area 51m from Hidevolution sometime next week.

Please do keep us posted as to what happens regarding this because I'm sure Dell will stay tight-lipped as always with their customers.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger and S.K like this.
  10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    If somebody can send me high resolution pictures of the new motherboard that will come with it.... ;)