*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Pudge

Pudge Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After all these burn out issues I am really starting to worry about my purchase :( I just hope that guys from HID did they job well in terms of thermal compound upgrade and cpu delidding.

2. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don’t think thermal compound and pads are the issue. Machines that are running very cool are dying.

Told you that AUO panel is nice compared to the Lg. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2019
    Fire Tiger and HaloGod2012 like this.
  3. warrenLX

warrenLX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I understand that undervolt could improve the thermal. But what i'm concerned about is whether this temps at stock normal?

4. Pudge

Reputations:
    So for now it looks like a lottery? :)

jclausius likes this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Hey HG what kind of Firestrike GPU score are you getting out of the 51M? I know you pushed the GT75 to nearly 30K and was wondering if you surpassed that easily.

If you find a program that does that please let me know.

6. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The best I did was 30,300 with very impractical, barely stable clocks. With normal clocks I’m around 28 to 29K. Highest CPU score was around 27K, which was the big step up from the GT75

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Seems like most of the ones that went up in smoke the owners did not undervolt, is that the case with yours too?

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  8. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, it is exactly like a lottery at the moment. A $4000 Russian roulette with owner's having no clue when the next restart might be their last. LOL

What I find odd is that no media outlet seems to be reporting this issue other than the owner's themselves and AW/Dell and Azor have been as tight-lipped as a baby's backside. Its about time someone called them out on social media and other channels but it seems people are ok with their $4000 investment just dying out without knowing why it happened in the first place. Damn!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

jclausius, Fire Tiger and giltee like this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't recall someone successfully doing this, not sure if there is an adapter to accomplish it, I recall hearing questions about it, but haven't seen anyone do it successfully - I wouldn't try as I don't think the sockets are the same keying so it wouldn't provide what you need.

I did a quick search and found this as an answer to essentially the same question:
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/772848-replace-wifi-card-with-ssd/

Posted April 28, 2017
    If the Wi-Fi adapter is using M.2, then it's likely not keyed for SSD use (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2#Form_factors_and_keying, it likely has an E key, which is not compatible with any M.2 SSD).

If it uses mini-PCIe, then your only option is probably https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...m_re=mini_pcie_ssd-_-9SIA9Y13N49614-_-Product since most mini-PCIe Wi-Fi cards are of that size and SSDs of that size are incredibly rare."

Posted April 29, 2017
    13 hours ago, GermanSausage said:
    "It wont work. Its the wrong connector and pin-out. Ive tried it, it wont work with M.2 cards... Heck, my M.2 SSD didnt even show up in device manager"

Please post back here and let us know if you find out definitively if the Area 51m Wifi socket does or does not support an M.2 storage connection.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  10. Pudge

Reputations:
    Thank you for research and detailed answer, but my idea was just to use m.2 extender with native m.2 slot (which is right below wifi) and put 1120 ssd over wifi card.

Fire Tiger and hmscott like this.