*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Trulyfatal

Trulyfatal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lol i have the same problem as you my friend ! first boot gives me half the FPS, when reboot everything seems to work properly again, weird.

2. jks87

jks87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would love to know how it is going as well!

3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    May want to review the info in this post - http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-owners-lounge.826831/page-1017#post-10907129

I don't think much has changed.

Papusan likes this.
  4. warrenLX

warrenLX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After replacement , My new 9900k 2080 area 51m seems to work fine for the past one week.
    However, I noticed the GPU was running much hotter than the dead one under 95+% load. playing Anthem with all max setting will push the gpu to the 87c wall even at performance thermal profile. the frequency stays at 1785 MHz. Is it normal,? what is you guys case?

Attached Files:

5. frankieo11

frankieo11 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I can see by reading these super technical posts that Im in a little over my head here but I m just looking for some advice. Considering buying an Area 51 RTX 1070. Would there be any limitations as far as VR or would it be lacking at all in performance? Also not clear what hard drive is best for gaming or just in general. Is a RAID drive preferable?

6. Saryon1

Saryon1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    jclausis, thanks for the link! If I was in the market now for a laptop with a rtx 2080 would you have a model be it alienware or other to suggest? I've done some research but with 2 kids and a full time job I don't have tons of time and the 51m seems to be at the top of the heap right now.

Vasudev likes this.
  7. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not especially... I would suggest waiting about 4-5 months until things are sorted out with this model. There are other laptops out there from Sager (or other boutique versions of Clevo), HP, MSI, and even Wal-Mart. Some of them will be based on BGA technology (a type of tech where the CPU and/or GPU are soldered and cannot be swapped). If possible I recommend trying to stay away from those models.

There are many sub-forums here at NBR, using the company web sites, kind of get an idea of what models you're interested in, and then take a look at ALL forum topics regarding that model. Hopefully you'll find something that suits your needs and doesn't put you in the position of having to send it back for a new motherboard, GPU, yellowed-out case, etc. within a few months.

Vasudev, Darkhan and Papusan like this.
  8. XxAcidSnowxX

XxAcidSnowxX Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You just n
    You just need to undervolt....

9. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I noticed on the US AW page if you choose 2080 it jumps to June 25th delivery date. 2070/2060 its May 25th. So I would say they are simply out of inventory right now. This happens a lot on their webpage..

VoodooChild likes this.
  10. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Update: my LG panel looked a little creamier than my other unit and dell tech was awesome. They overnighted the part to the Depot. He brought the new panel assembly and let me have it rather than swap himself. Since dell is letting me keep both panels, I’m wondering if I should just swap the panel later and save the new one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoneSyndal and Vasudev like this.