*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Not needed if you use Win 10. Win 10 won't charge the battery always unless the battery meter is below 94%. If the laptop switches to battery and drains by 5% and you connect AC adapter it'll show Battery fully charged 100%. Windows 10 can manage battery better and can throttle down the current and voltage if battery gets too hot.

Enkeixpress and VoodooChild like this.
  2. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So, its not possible to make the 2080s run at 2Ghz for daily usage? I was kinda hoping to run my CPU at 5Ghz and GPU at 2GHz while running games just to sound awesome! I might still give it a shot though, if something cracks up, I will bug Dell directly for their in house warranty services. It IS claimed to be the "the fastest overclockable and upgradedable laptop in the WORLD" after all. ;)
    So, the option to clock the CPU 5.5Ghz in AWCC is just a gimmick you say? :) LOL

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger likes this.
  3. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So far a lot of it is just gimmick and on paper specs, especially with those motherboards that are limiting the power to these monstrous components.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  4. Saryon1

Saryon1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey folks, I think I'm about ready to buy the 9900k/2080 model from HIDEvolution. Any reasons for waiting a bit longer(higher rez screen, proc refresh, gpu refresh rumors)? Also if I do make the purchase what are some thing I should do right out of the box to make sure mine doesn't catch fire? I can't believe I just asked that question.....

5. Natouche

Natouche Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After research I think to use Intel XTU for the undervolt.
    Regarding my 9900K, if I understand correctly, there is just to modify in ADVANCED TUNING ---- CORE ---- the setting "Core Voltage offset" for undervolt the processor, and I test to see if it passes ? I leave all other settings by default? or is there something else to modify please?

S.K likes this.
  6. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's a good start. If you feel like you need more performance then go up one notch at a time. I'd OC using the multipliers and undervolt until it starts to crash. Once it starts to crash, turn up the voltage by 5mV and stress test again until it becomes stable. That's going to be my OC profile.

7. Natouche

Natouche Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you. :)

If I understand, I also overclock the processor by modifying the multiplier while decreasing or increasing the "Core Voltage offset" and I test?
    If yes, how to overclock using the multiplier?

8. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sometimes when I boot and play games, GPU clockspeed fails to reach 3D boost clocks at all until I reboot, reducing FPS and performance. Where is my Prema magic to get rid of these garbage issues so I can be free of software induced throttling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papusan and S.K like this.
  9. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have never had that happen on any of the three 51m’s that I had. Something else is going on there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S.K likes this.
  10. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What clocks and undervolts are you running on both CPU and GPU? Are there any errors/warnings appearing in windows event viewer under system category? That's a rich resource when it comes to investigating such issues.