*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't believe that Dell BS anymore saying 5000-10000$ machine requiring a repaste out of the box...... If the paste degrades after 6 months there's its okay to repaste.
    If they intend to ask end users to do the heavy lifting for repaste and repad they must price it at 2000-2500$.
    Don't even bother with that. Put it to standard charge for longer battery lifetime, otherwise Adaptive will kill your battery in 3-5months. I complained to Dell when my battery was swollen and it was abnormally hot they rebutted it as normal operation when I took matter into my hands and killed the battery using ExpressCharge, only twice or thrice full battery drain killed it and I was offered new battery.
    So if Dell downplays battery issues(if any), use their own weapon against them. Problem solved.

2. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I have been playing around with afterburner for some hours and run some benchmarks and I have configured 3 profiles:
    1740 MHz GPU clock @ 768 mV
    1860 MHz GPU clock @ 820 mV
    1995 MHz GPU clock @ 900 mV

With the latest profile (1995) I reach the power limit sometimes during benchmarks, so I think I will have to lower it a little bit and undervolt more.
    With the first profile I have done more intensive testing and benchmarks so it seems to be stable but I haven't performed enough tests with the other two to check it they are completely stable.
    What's the stock GPU clock frequency for the RTX 2080 we have? Is it 1575 MHz and 1890 MHz for max turbo?

What is the supposed "safe" overclock limit that I should set? I'm worried of setting a voltage and frequency too high and frying the GPU card. Is 1995 MHz @ 900 mV safe?

Thank you very much.

3. warrenLX

warrenLX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What is your gpu temperature under full load in perfomance thermal fan profile

Xatanú likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    You sure the films on thermal pads are removed? Thermal pads don't shine that much.
    If VRAM won't clock higher then, OC core clocks to the brink.

5. Amroth

Amroth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Man the M17xR3 was designed better in many ways- like one button and the battery pops out. And 2 screws for the underside panel and you have access to almost every component... I can start repasting in 15 seconds with that older design... sigh.

Papusan, Vasudev and S.K like this.
  6. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not everything is perfect in this world. :) For me it's good enough. These minor tasks should not be needed, I agree with you on that, but it is unfortunate that they need to be done by the user. Still, that is not going to stop me from investing in this immense piece of hardware.

These mushy ones are quite shiny. I noticed when I was pulling these off from my heat sink. They look like chewing gum bars with clear coat on top lol.

Any frequency is fine as long as you are not locking it permanently with the afterburner. Once load is removed, it will down clock the GPU to idle clocks which is totally fine. However, try not to go beyond 1950-1960 mark on these for long term. Although every chip is different but I'd try to keep a safe distance from the max that I can achieve just to ensure longevity.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
    Xatanú and Vasudev like this.
  7. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I feel you brother, I've seen the videos of this system's teardown and it looks so tedious, especially the wiring that needs to be moved while taking it apart. It will take a little bit of practice I suppose but M17xR3 was like taking part a Lego structure.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Amroth and Fire Tiger like this.
  8. Pudge

Pudge Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How you think will it fit over wi-fi card with extension cable? Or maybe if I don't have plans to use HDD bay, it can be fitted there? Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Not everything is perfect but user experience wise Dell is way behind than Chinese OEM laptop makers who put crap paste and still it performs without throttling for general usage.
    Almost 95% of Dell PCs touch 100C out of the box or even worse. They've been repeating the same script for 5 years and still thermal paste jobs are worse than horrible plastic surgery.

Papusan likes this.
  10. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The "Primarily AC" option sounds enticing to me because I use my system plugged in 99.9999% of the time. I would've removed the battery and gone direct with the adapters but the option is not logical with this system's design.
    If this "Primarily AC" is a gimmick, then I think its better to stick with Adaptive or Standard for battery longevity.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger likes this.