*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Fire Tiger

Fire Tiger Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    EDIT: This is probably better: https://www.dell.com/support/manual...bbbeff-4928-4def-89af-3d28d0a231ce&lang=en-us

Not sure if these explanations still stand, found them here - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618965/battery-charge-configuration-dell/?p=4034970

•Adaptive – Automatically optimizes battery settings based on the user's typical patterns. Recommended for users who want to "set it
    and forget it..
    •ExpressCharge – Quickly charges the battery using Dell fast-charge technology. Recommended for users who
    need the battery to charge within a short period of time. If the system is powered off,then the battery typically
    charges to 80% within one hour and 100% in two hours. Charge time may be longer if the system is powered on.
    NOTE: The ExpressCharge setting may cause battery health to diminish more quickly than other settings.
    •Primarily AC – Extends battery life by lowering the charge threshold, so that the battery never charges to 100%
    capacity. Recommended for users who primarily operate the system while plugged into an external power
    source.
    •Custom – User selects when the battery starts and stops charging. Recommended for advanced users.
    • Standard – Fully charges the battery at a moderate rate. This setting provides a balanced approach to extending
    battery life while still providing a reasonably fast charging time. Recommended for users who frequently switch
    between battery power and external power sources

Papusan, VoodooChild, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  2. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If that second screen was a dock for Nintendo switch then @judal57 would certainly buy it.

judal57 and hmscott like this.
  3. TRANCE1

TRANCE1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If your wondering what a joke the base model heatsink looks like, temps at idle are around 45c for both GPU and CPU (9700k+2060). An impressive 3 heatpipes adorns the unit, two of which are shared. No side heatsinks, pipes or vents, just plastic blockage. And I have the lemon mobo.
    Also I have a backround in modifying circuits, and the quality of the motherboard is about as low as it gets, I don't see copper path traces, the solder seems very low quality, and the pcb looks like it uses bare minimum layers. The DGFF card however looks of good quality. Quite disappointed in Dell on this machine, always have to cut corners somewhere, shame as the body is so solid.

51mbaselemonjpg.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  4. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow that is a joke. I think the razer blade has more cooling than that. What were they thinking !?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. MH01

MH01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Just wondering how your experience has been with CPU/GPU coil whine from the Area 51M

I had the worst Seagate drive which was ticking, so removed that, but how I can hear coil whine, is this normal ? I have till Monday To decide if to keep the machine.

Feedback much appreciated.

6. HaloGod2012

Reputations:
    In dead silence, yes you can hear some coil whine. It’s nothing loud enough to bother me unless the fans are off, house is quiet, and I listen for it.

7. MH01

MH01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you so much.

That is my experience, before the fans kick In.

Is there anything else I shall check within the return period ? Im going to ask to return the Hard disk only at this stage, and ask for a refund , or worst case a new drive that does to constantly tick

8. HaloGod2012

Reputations:
    Just the usual, check the screen for backlight bleed and dead pixels. Test each key on the keyboard. Game hard on it for a month and make sure the GPU doesn’t die lol

Papusan likes this.
  9. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm waiting after Dell to answer my question about this availability issue.... took them 1 day to give me the same answer : "Only RTX 2060 and 2070" are available in France...

Already told them that : "NO, the 2080 model was available last time i checked, what is happening please ?" ...

Still waiting after them... don't want to trade my RTX 2080 that i paid with a punny 2070 model with the swap process...

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  10. TRANCE1

TRANCE1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It get's better though, to add insult to injury, Dell used aluminum for the fin-stacks instead of copper like the upgraded heatsink (and every other notebook over 1k...).

Also the 2060 I got came with Micron memory so it probably won't overclock a single 1mhz, lol.

IMG_20190515_204201.jpg

raz8020, electrosoft, luciela and 5 others like this.