*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Arghh I see

2. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've run it in the past and it came out fine, I think it only happens when overclocking, as SK said.

nkc and S.K like this.
  3. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Max-q + Mobile CPU = Instant ED :p

4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    MQ GPU is okay and it'll clock much better than beefy GPUs with instant throttling and dead mobos.

5. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Yes, but it can't outperform the full fat one even with OC. But for casual gaming, wth! 2080 Max-q is good enough. But it's personal preference. I like my engines and laptops big. ;)

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Safety, more throttling, more money, inferior cooling etc.. are the main design highlights for today's laptops or ultraportables. Who cares if 2080 MQ doesn't outpace 2080 when 2080 MQ nets you 300$ more than 2080 for inferior HW which is a win-win situation.

Papusan, Darkhan, Rei Fukai and 2 others like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    be6sqPzK5F4l56na.jpg
    I was thinking more along the lines of Apple's Touchbar, or Razers laptop display trackpad - or function keypad, or the new Razer DeathStalker Ultimate.

It first reminded me of the Logitech G19s, G510, and I've still got the first G15 keyboard with the LCD screen, and yes I used the Vista app to display status, along with game and Nvidia status - as I recall it was, meh.

The screen on the HP is larger than all of the predecessors, but not wide - or large enough - otherwise it would be like the Nintendo dual screen gaming portables, which work great.

Like I said, I really think an all screen keyboard area with a hide away touch keyboard - re-sizable - could really make use of that real estate, but then again I never use the built-in keyboard on laptops since many years - they are too fragile and humans are too accident prone to avoid dropping crumbs and sticky droplets of conductive doom in between the keys - human drippings - plus I like to sit back from the screen and the built-in keyboards are too close to the screen.

So, a 2 full screened laptop would get me interested in upgrading, probably more than a faster CPU / GPU. Now that I think about it, a 2 screen laptop with no keyboard or trackpad built-in - external for both - could be a new class of awesome laptop design. :)

Vista's monitoring apps were great, but then again I am a system guy that likes to monitor all of what is going on so I can catch glitches before they become real problems, so a nice area for displaying statistics - larger than the HP 2nd screen - also sounds to me like upgrade material.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Darkhan and Vasudev like this.
  8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    It boils down to whether you're ready to take it as a buy and use device or as a project that delivers you value for a long time to come. I think 2080 Maxq will get obsolete faster than 2080 and if thermals are controlled by taming the beasts, it's a bigger win to get the full fat version. But it's certainly not for everyone, especially not for those who want to just unbox and play away. We're talking different markets here. This laptop (area 51m) kind of bridged both the markets (at least tried to) but failed in doing so. It needs more work right from the factory before its ready to do this.

I'm going to get some gelid gc extreme this time as it is almost as good. Don't want to buy kryonaut from the same vendor for a while now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
    Fire Tiger likes this.
  9. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey, I've a question for you guys, do you use your system plugged in all the time? I used to do this on my M17xR3 and the battery died under 1 year and I had to buy a new one from Dell. I've seen some battery settings in BIOS, have any of you tried it yet? If so, care of explain what each feature does?
    Any inputs will be helpful guys. Thanks.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

10. Timoonn

Timoonn Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Any news about the 2080 withdrawal?
    The 10th of may the card was still available (i took a screen capture)
    Or i'll have to take a 2070...

hmscott likes this.