*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. TomC69

TomC69 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So, how is your AGA w/rtx2080ti working out for you? The reason I ask is that I was thinking of buying a 15m w/2060 or 2070 and use my existing AGA w/gtx1080ti in order to save a few $'s, and maybe take a bit of load/heat off the laptop. I currently have a 17r4 w/i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6 and I need to upgrade its CPU for better VR performance, esp. in X-plane 11. Unfortunately AW does not make a CPU amplifier, lol! Make any sense? Thanks.

2. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's not a good sign, I knew the lunar white would carry some stains over time but didn't think it would be this early. Having some yellowish tint on the palm rest is understandable over long gaming sessions but on the lid where you use it momentarily to open the screen is very concerning.
    My initial order was a white one through Xotic, my wife hated the idea and told me that I'm not a "white type" and it will look too flashy and too expensive and she convinced me otherwise. I had to cancel the order and get a black one through Hidevolution and she was right. Of course, I'll never admit it to her.
    It looks like the best solution is to cover it with a carbon fiber skin.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Fire Tiger and S.K like this.
  3. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Here's the warning that showed up. Definitely has to do with the Wifi card.

Attached Files:

S.K likes this.
  4. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes this is possibly due to an unstable PCIe bus that resulted from an OC. You have 2 possible solutions for this. Either switch to 9560 wifi chip which uses M.2: CNVio interface instead of PCIe bus, or turn down the OC a little bit (either by increasing the voltage or decreasing the frequency until it is stable). I am not surprised though as I got this same error on my preivous motherboard when overclocking to 5 GHz across all cores while on this one, I don't see it. The fact that I am using AX200 Intel chip could also be a factor in my case. I was originally looking for Intel AX201 which also uses the same interface i.e., M.2: CNVio but it is not available to buy right now.

I am thinking of buying a black chassis from HID for this laptop. The only concern that I have is, what shape will that screen be in when it reaches me as I will not be able to claim warranty from Dell on that part. I might end up sending it back and forth to HID and the shipping cost will exceed the cost of the screen in a few rounds which is not good. I might talk to the sales team locally as well and see if they can sell it to me directly.

Can anyone here confirm that their black chassis is not changing color on the palm rest and screen lid areas? How durable is that black?

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2019
  5. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hmm... I might just remove the card entirely, I use it on ethernet only anyways since I play competetive PvP games.

Does it affect anything besides my OC?

6. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My Black is Solid Black , almost a month now , Still Black

7. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's something that I am not certain about (how can I be). With an unstable PCIe, how stable are other components that are using it is anyone's guess. At least you won't see that error with the OC by taking the wifi card off the PCIe but other components might still misbehave. That motherboard isn't the best for overclocking anyway, as you know by now. So I'd be careful with the OC. Unless you are ready for another RMA season. ;)

SacraficeMyGoat likes this.
  8. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Run EPSA, do u get pci e error

9. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It might not appear because this kind of errors are only introduced when the system is unstable due to being under heavy load with OC. These are special corner case errors. EPSA is more inclined towards detecting static peripheral errors that are not varying with CPU speed.

nkc likes this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    We'll be seeing record breaking sales and RMAs from Omen 2S!
    @hmscott Don't you think Omen 2S has brought back Windows SideShow when Vista came out! It was dead after years and this will too. 2 displays == Bad battery life and in reality whilst gaming averting your eyes to second screen is completely useless for FPS games.

Ashtrix, hmscott and S.K like this.