*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Maybe it's already been answered, but no - unless there is a clear 30mm "overhang" past the mounting screw at the end of the m.2 socket trough to allow the extra 30mm to sit unimpeded, you need to swap that 110m M.2 for an 80mm M.2 stick.

You can fit a shorter M.2 device into a longer slot, but not the other way around.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Alienware-Area-51m-i9-9900K-RTX-2080-Laptop-Review.414667.0.html

"Storage Devices
    There are a total of three internal storage bays (2x M.2 2280, 1x 2.5-inch SATA III) with Optane support compared to four on the MSI GT75 or Eurocom Sky X7C. Our specific configuration is equipped with two SK Hynix PC400 M.2 NVMe SSDs in RAID 0 alongside a secondary 1 TB Seagate FireCuda ST1000LX015 HDD. Dell offers storage options ranging from 256 GB up to 2 TB, but they unfortunately do not specify the exact model names for these drives. We're hopeful that these drives turn out be Samsung SSDs since they tend to perform faster than those from Toshiba and others."

If you are really desperate, you could get an M.2 extension cable to plug into the 80mm m.2 socket and plug the 110m M.2 stick into the other end, but then you are going to have to find a place to "stick it" within the radius of the length of the m.2 extension cable.

https://www.google.com/search?q=m.2+extension+cable

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Pudge, Vasudev, c69k and 2 others like this.
  2. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'll be asking a refund to Donald from HIDevolution by mail... we'll see..

propeldragon, zdroj, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  3. Albatross

Albatross Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hopefully, HP will follow through on this and it will become the norm with other OEMs.

Hands on with HP's Omen X 2S 15: The world's first dual-screen gaming laptop

To further aid in cooling, HP said it will use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut liquid metal thermal compound from the factory on the CPU. While smaller boutique PC vendors have offered it as an option on laptops for additional cash, HP’s making it a standard feature on all Omen X 2S 15 laptops.

4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Maybe he has stock of either the whole laptop with a 2080 or a GPU he could swap, sorry wasn't following along with your whole problem thread...it would be nice to give Donald a chance to make it right from his end too.

If it's the one I am thinking of, I was excited to hear about it, then saw the little screen under the big screen, not sure how that's gonna help much... with my eye's I prefer a 17" to start with, so that littler screen won't be much help to me.

Why can't they make a full screen where the keyboard is right now and have it switch between a touch keyboard and a full display - control via the mouse once you are in game / app. I'd even go for adding an external keyboard to get the "keyboard screen" as a screen full time.

2 x 15.6" at least, or better yet 2 x 17.3", or dream about a 2 x 18.4" laptop :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019
  5. Albatross

Albatross Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I was interested in HP using Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut as a stock compound.

hmscott likes this.
  6. TRANCE1

TRANCE1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow Dell support are useless. They are giving me the run around, I'm trying to get the upgraded heatsink and order support says contact technical, who says contact sales, wtf. Clueless staff.

propeldragon, Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:

8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    After running Kryonaut, MX4 and Conductonaut on my RTX-2080, I have noticed that after a couple of days, the average max temps I am getting at a particular clock profile are averaging out to be very similar (conductonaut being just 1.5 to 2 degrees celcius ahead of the competition). Strangely, I am getting better temps with MX4 as compared to Kryonaut (probably because the MX4 syringe that I have is almost 2 years old and kept resting in my drawer all this time before I started using it and now it is REALLY THICK or perhaps a bad kryonaut batch?). This means, cooling in this case is limited by the cooling solution rather than the paste. So if your temps are lurking around mid 70s or early 80s while gaming on thermal paste, it's pretty much useless to go to conductonaut unless you plan to mount a noctua NH-U12A heat sink to the GPU as well. For CPU, I haven't tried yet but I have noticed better temps with MX4 as compared to Kryonaut.

hmscott likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    They go exactly same paths as Asus. Aka forced to use Liquid metal due coming 8 cores BGA chips. The question is... Will Alienware jump on the same train for their thinner overheating m branded BGA models? As well for revision 2 of Area-51m? Because 10 cores will need it + revised heatsink.

10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Today I also noticed that issue where fan RPM jumps up suddenly in a quick burst of a split second and then goes back down. I wonder why this is happening.