*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Tony Olsson

Tony Olsson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No rtx 2080 on the swedish Dell page.

2. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't have many solutions here...

On the last communication i had with Donald from HIDEVOLUTION they "offered" me to pay 197$ to send mine back to them and they'll pay for sending back to me if it's repaired... but that's only an option to keep the options i paid there...

Still considering this option if thing are going worse... damn !...

propeldragon and c69k like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Over time I've noticed Dell removes an option in the configurator like they cancel orders - for apparently no reason and no one at Dell you can reach really knows exactly why - the "system did it" is the closest answer that seems believable.

Maybe there is a delay in replenishing stock? A ship or container is in route and delayed at a distribution hub?

Too many reported RMA's on 2080 containing builds, and some threshold is reached and then Pffft, it's pulled from the configurator?

I wouldn't panic yet. The option may just as suddenly reappear.

You can call in to Dell and ask, sometimes it helps to let Dell know there is a problem with their configurator, otherwise it might take Dell longer to notice the problem on their own, and then fix it.

A rule of thumb seems to be if you get a bad one, and the first RMA or home visit for repair fails - and there is no good explanation - then return for your cash back - and don't accept a restocking fee.

You can sometimes request a discount on future order, that makes them happy, or at least used to let them let go of trying to force a reorder out of you right then and there. I wouldn't accept a "credit" towards a future order, ask for a 100% cash refund.

Rather than have too much angst over it all, reset and regroup with all your cash back in your control - it's not fun if it's no longer any fun.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Vasudev, c69k, Darkhan and 1 other person like this.
  4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I've been using it quite heavily for a month although it's a separate story that I replaced the motherboard as a preventative maintenance procedure as I luckily got my hands on a better part.

Get the black. White will turn yellow in 2 weeks on the palm rests.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2019
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Niche products? Have MSI and Clevo same problem? Haven’t seen that.

6. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With deeper tones did anyone figure out how to eliminate the speaker vibration rattle from the plastic front grille? It’s annoying this happens but expected from such loud speakers. The vibration noise goes away as soon as I push on the plastic flimsy speaker grill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Sounds like your chassis could be damaged from the front or one (or more) of the hooks that hold the black and white part together might have got loose somehow. I'd take the battery out and inspect that. Also make sure that your speakers have the rubber dampeners intact (the tiny rubber rings that absorb vibrations and are installed on all the speaker mountings).

8. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Everything is on tight and nothing broken. It’s just at max volume on deep tones, the speakers cause a lot of vibration and you can sometimes get that high pitched plastic vibration noise, the whole laptop vibrates on max volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  9. Nomadsan74

Nomadsan74 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dell's swapping manager litteraly told me this as an answer in my mail :

"By consulting with our production department, I would like to inform you that in France the Alienware Area 51 are all marketed with the two graphics cards below, ie the RTX 2020 and the RTX 2070 :

By consulting with our production department, I would like to inform you that in France the Alienware Area 51 are all marketed with the two graphics cards below, ie the RTX 2020 and the RTX 2070"

I already answered to her mail by telling her i've seen this option less then 2 weeks ago on the FR website...

It took her ... 4 days to provide me with this answer... i can't get any refund as i've ordered with HIDEVOLUTION (end of March) even if my unit only worked 2 weeks...

Hours of call... 20 or maybe 30 mails later... nothing moved..

This computer, this brand is pure scam..

Attached Files:

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Dell rep can only see what they can see through their interface right now, and if there was a 2080 option that's now been removed it's not going to be part of their current reality.

Again, I've seen the same kind of comments before. Either they never saw it when it was there, or they are trained to not mention or offer that which used to be available but now is no longer accessible via their interface.

Was there a 2080 build option before? Then there might be a 2080 build option again.

Until then your options are limited to what they can configure right now.

After 4 days - or some limit approaching giving up - maybe it's time to pull the plug and return it for a refund?

zdroj, Rei Fukai, Vasudev and 3 others like this.