*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That really sucks, I mean Alienwares with Skylake BGA like mine did boot with 2400/2667MHz and only issue I had was the specific DRAM module was blacklisted by dell and intel for weird blackscreen issue (I can't really remember) but honestly I just used it on Dell PC that shipped with that same RAM.
    I think Frank is locking out all options to make LGA like piss poor cheapo 500$ laptop with everything locked.

Ashtrix and Joikansai like this.
  2. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This is the perfect example of throwing your fans under the bus. I mean it shouldn't care where people bought your product. As long as it sells you shouldn't complain. I also don't see Samsung, or Apple cry because there are third party resellers (Apple can give people a hard time, but they rather sell, than lose money) selling their product. Ugh discusting. This shows how money can turn around people's dedication, and hard work (something azor hasnt been doing since he became the executive of an company that has ties with the devel himself).

The more info is being released, the sadder the picture get's. Probably would only buy this if it's from an outlet and 40% cheaper. Cuzz this price ain't it. Probably going to Internally watercool my next laptop, so it got to be a LGA/MXM machine. Only tha way i can be sure that there is enough room for my heatpipes (where the water would flow through)

I do hope for the people that spended big money, that the performance is better than how it now looks. It barely outperforms my broken 8950HK/1080 which took me almost a week to get stable undervolts/overclocks

3. Woodking

Woodking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Watching this thread with interest, hoping this could finally be the one to replace my old XPS L702X (as sadly Dell dont make a 17" XPS anymore).

I don't travel with it, it'll be sat right next to a power supply and don't care how much it weighs. All I have to do now is figure out how to get permission from the wife to buy it as it's *cough* a bit more than the 9570 I returned to Dell :p

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Yes, this did not make sense. This is a case where an opinion can go seriously wrong...

And all Xotic was doing was a simple ram upgrade.....Imagine what he might have to say about HID with their upgrade path...

Ashtrix, Mr. Fox, TBoneSan and 4 others like this.
  5. Vasudev

Reputations:
    You said it, Azor is an executive as well as former glory AW LGA founder with deep ties to product development. If intel isn't helping them make better heatsink design then I'd suggest borrowing it from Clevos like Apple do with their products.

You're free to choose older Thinkpads/Latitudes/Precision/HP Probook that perform on-par latest models with worse cooling, atleast older model does it better and replacing thermal paste gives it a new lease of life.

Rei Fukai likes this.
  6. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Whoop whoop! Mine had just shipped. I have an updated eta of 15/2/19 but hoping it arrives before that as China to uk doesn’t normally take 9 days!

7. severous

severous Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Please help me to decide:
    What's the best between buy Area 51m with Dell 2x8go DDR4 2400mhz (but Dell says that it's 2666mhz but run at 2400?)
    OR buy crucial 2x8go DDR4 2666mhz ballistix 20/30 euros less???

And anyone know informations about the panel ? Dell website says "contrast min: 600:1" if it's true, it's piece of ****...

8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Truth be told get the standard Crucial 2667MHz since we don't for sure if Dell whitelisted only OEM RAMs from SK Hynix,Crucial/Micron and Samsung.
    I think contrast ratio of 600:1 is a typo. If it was true then you're better buying a cheap laptop that comes with way more Contrast ratio, more RAM/SSD upgrade options than paying steep price that can't even do basic things a laptop other OEMs push out!

c69k likes this.
  9. daveh98

daveh98 P4P King

Reputations:
    Man it's been a LOOONG time since I checked in here. I had to swing by to check out the 51m. Am I correct in reading it is now a MaxQ 2080? When I had the horrible early 1080 Alienware 17R4 and was refunded I went to an MSI and didn't look back. Still runs 1080 mostly high settings without exceeding temps in the high 70s. I was feeling the itch to upgrade and I had a feeling reading the early desktop 2080Ti reviews that the notebooks couldn't likely pull off near desktop performance like the 10 series. I decided to build a custom rig for the first time in forever (i9 9900k, 2080ti, m.2 970, 32gb Trident 3200mhz, Thermaltake View 71 case with an AIO and all that stuff). So gorgeous. Two things occurred. First was I noticed the power demands of the 9900k and 2080ti overclocked were both incredibly high and while the notebook comes with what appears a 660 watt PSU (??), I can see thermal issues big time. PSU is fine but the case just doesn't appear to have a design that will work despite the design language being used by AW. (hope I am wrong). I am playing on a x34 3400x1440p Predator and BF5 could barely get low DxR working to a level I like. 1080p would be different but it will be tough with this current notebook 2080 me thinks.

Sooo I decided to sit this gen out, return my rig I built and go Old School. Saw a really good deal on a ROG Lian Li 011 case housing ROG Strix x299-E MB, i9 7900X, 2 Strix ROG 1080Ti OC in SLI, 32gb of G.skill Trident RGB 3200mhz ram, some m.2 and Bitspower custom waterblocks for the CPU and Full waterblocks for both GPUs. I hope people who do get their systems early have some good fortune with thermals. I imagine if thermals are OK, then anyone who ordered will be elated as the performance is pretty easy to ballpark atm. To wrap up, I honestly think the sweet spot for notebook enthusiasts is going to be a good 1440p monitor with 120-144hz, and around a 2080ti desktop EQUAL if not a bit better. I remember the times CPU bottlenecking was tested on 1024x768 and 1080p was enthusiast extreme. Now this appears to be the baseline CPU bottleneck test and notebook enthusiasts should have some real options to differentiate from the rapidly growing gaming notebook scene. All the lower end to mid end notebooks should be funding the R/D for the real enthusiast level rigs and I am yet to even want to upgrade my 7700hq, 1080GTX MSI Titan VR that's almost two years old!

To the poster above, though 30 Euro isn't a giant deal when you are all in, the ram speed isn't a giant deal but isn't nonexistent. I think 3200mhz is around the best overall. Over 4ghz is net neutral and even a loss if you are overclocking other components. Likely that ram is 2400mhz but run at 2666mhz through an XMP bios option which just overclocks it.

VoodooChild likes this.
  10. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, it is not Max-Q.