*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Johnksss

Johnksss .

Reputations:
    Well, even if the bios is locked down. I think we can use XTU to at least make some changes and get the system running better than out of box. Remember, before we overclock, we must first undervolt to find out what the machine is really suppose to do. Once that is made public to everyone involved, then we as a community can make it better from there. And hopefully Dell will not shut us down at that point.

When I posted that CinebenchR15 run...Everyone zoomed in on the temps, but what most missed was the fact that it stayed in the 46/47 range. That means something. One reviewer reviewed a P775 and his dropped to 3.6Ghz pretty damn quick. This is unacceptable!

Lets face it. We tried benching quite a few machines and got hit with "flags on the play" LOL That's why no 3dmark. Everyone knew what that was (immediate shut down), no one seemed to know what Cinebench R15 was. Go figure.

As long as people are willing to test their machines, then the more we can experiment and make it better than what they may want us to believe or sure as heck find issues and see about getting them corrected ASAP!

Edit:

I would also like to Apologize to @alexnvidia for my comments towards him! They were uncalled for!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
    c69k, ssj92, raz8020 and 9 others like this.
  2. Wiz bit

Wiz bit Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone’s 51 shipped yet ? Mine says 20 feb expected delivery ...

3. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OK, I have done the CTRL-L and this now locks the GPU at a given voltage/frequency. But this is not exactly what I want.

1) I want to allow the GPU to drop its frequency if not being used, as is the default. Eg right now it is at 140MHz.
    2) I want to stop the GPU from ever exceeding a max frequency, say, 1600MHz
    3) At the max frequency, say 1600MHz, I want the GPU to use a voltage of say, 1.0V.
    4) At all other frequencies below my max, I want the GPU to use a voltage of < 1.0V.

How do I do that with MSI Afterburner?

4. Terreos

Terreos Royal Guard

Reputations:
    Not yet. I preordered mine on January 11. And I'm expecting mine February 19. Woild be nice if they did ship it early but that's not likely.

dodgehemi0 likes this.
  5. 1Schumsta1

1Schumsta1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So no ones 51m is shipped yet? I ordered mine 1.Feb and delivery is 27. Feb. Maybe (i hope) its a little bit earlier :D

6. doofus99

doofus99 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My two pennies, it is very rarely safe to buy version 1.0 of anything, and usually more expensive.

7. captn.ko

captn.ko Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the Chinese guys have holidays at the moment. I don't think they will ship until Tuesday

Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  8. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Came across this gem when searcing for laptop heatpipes for the watercooling.

Seems quite nice and could he easily done in a Clevo machine. Only thing that would be maden external is a pump, or a reservoir.

If you remove the SSD and only run an m.2 there is plenty enough room for a pump to recirculate the water through the loop. I have a 3d printer, so I can print brackets etc fairly easily (or print in copper with a PLA filament. 30 plastic 70 copper)

I don't know why but I really want to watercool my laptop .... I've been obsessed with it since I saw the asetek demo with an 18 inch aw crossfire model.

Also this is quite usefull. I think with some tinkering there could be an integrated watercooling solution but some parts need to be make bespoke

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32822...Copper-Notebook-Water-cooled-Cooling-Head-Big

Attached Files:

9. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Interested in this as well. As so far seems most mobile RTX have significantly lower performance esp with raytracing.

If i buy one though, you think dell would let me get one without any ssds or ram? Id rather buy and install my own than pay a huge premium for whatever crap they throw in it. Anyone have any experience with this?

My Triton 700 is falling apart at the seams. I may try to trade it out at Microcenter for an Area 51m...

10. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can just flatten the curve after the highest voltage you want at the frequency you want.
    So instead of locking the voltage at a particular spot, just flatten the curve out like this.
    https://imgur.com/a/i7WpcXD

For best performance though, the Ctrl+L is a better method.

Ashtrix, rickdeckard, Vasudev and 6 others like this.