*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. iunlock

iunlock 7980XE @ 5.4GHz

Reputations:
    It looks like @ThatOldGuy got ya covered with an answer. :)

I'd imagine that they'd try to rid the old inventory first and gamble with doing so banking on that the old stock will be fine for most people.. dirty for sure, but that's business and financially almost every company would do the same....sucks nonetheless.

LOL right? AWOC is useless anyway... it's so poorly implemented...for fan control I just go Max via bios or let it ride on the stock fan curve as if you're doing something intensive it'll spool up to max anyway.

LOL that shouldn't be too hard. Even with the impractical set up their Time Spy and gpu score was still lower than mine on air. http://www.3dmark.com/spy/7090071

To be fair, his demographic is not made up of real hard core enthusiasts. I'm surprised that Steve even did a video with him, but I get it as it'd give him tremendous exposure...so kudos for him. I like Steve...one of the few rare real enthusiasts around on utoob.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I think they'd give a really hard time and probably won't comply. What I'd do is to tell them if I am having any overheating issues and then they'll definitely send over a replacement, especially if you send them evidence that one of your system components is heating up beyond normal. Unless that happens, I'd say just use what you have. I am installing these heat sinks on my main power inlet mosfets to keep them cool just for extra reassurance. These are super cheap and will definitely improve their thermals.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/3X-Micro-V...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I think you do not realize that peak current is a thing in mosfets and how the p-n junction behaves when there is excessive power draw from the device under extreme load conditions while charging the battery simultaneously. Look at given curves in both datasheets and stop being a stubborn wannabe expert. At this point I feel like banging my head against the wall while trying to convince you. Go on your own route from here onwards. Adding to ignore list.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2019
  3. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yeah I figured they probably wouldn't.

I'll look into those little heatsinks though. Will you post pics once you've installed them?

4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Yes I'll definitely post some pics of this mod. This is a really easy one, just clean them with alcohol and peel the sticker off of these tiny things and paste them right on. Metal can absorb heat better than air so we'll definitely have some additional thermal protection.

Fire Tiger and SacraficeMyGoat like this.
  5. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    Forsure, thanks.

Do you know how many of these heatsinks you'll need?

6. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    There are just 2 of those, and in this package we get 3, so one package would be good enough. You'll get a spare one. All the other power components are already connected to the main heat sink. Just these 2 forgotten souls are left hidden under the tail cover. Ideally these should have had heat sinks straight out from the factory.

SacraficeMyGoat likes this.
  7. SacraficeMyGoat

Reputations:
    Ahh okay. Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be applying these, as I'd like all components to run as cool as possible.

S.K likes this.
  8. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    If it wasn't for fan control, I'd just set a theme on my lighting and get rid of the entire AWCC altogether. It's really useless for pretty much everything, even the things that only it is supposed to do i.e., controlling fans. Only 3 dots in fan curves? Really? These guys at Dell need to learn from MSI Afterburner a thing or 2 about custom fan curves UI.

iunlock likes this.
  9. warrenLX

warrenLX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yep, finally lose your logeitic
    You just come up with a theory addressing p-n junction without telling the mechanism but ive told you the mechansim in

10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I noticed a dead pixel on my Auo panel today. What an epic shame! Haha! This laptop just loves to stay open on my desk!!! I will be calling Dell again it seems.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2019