*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    There is no denying the fact that the Nikos mosfet used in my motherboard is *more* rugged and *less* prone to burning issues than the AON one. Overall specs decide which part is plain better and not individual characteristics that do not even mean anything when considered alone. apart from the Avalanche energy in this case. What causes burn out of these mosfets is how much current flows through them during avalanche mode, which results in burning out of the mosfet. I'd seriously recommend that you deeply study the construction of mosfets and how they are driven under certain conditions. Unless that, you might find it VERY hard to reach a definitive conclusion when comparing multiple of these devices.

2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    lol, it took only 20 minutes for me to figure out that Alienware OCC tools were screwing Throttlestop and XTU (and I'm no overclocking expert by any means). Looks like they never tried a clean install of Windows either

hmscott, c69k, Vasudev and 6 others like this.
  3. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't understand what you expect from them mate, how can they give you warranty for the parts which you got upgraded through Dell?
    For your initial repair/replacement, if you wanted your warranty claim through HID, you would have had to send the laptop to Hidevolution first, then they would contact Dell and Dell would in turn give the replacement laptop to Hidevolution. Once Hidevolution receives the new system, they would then ship it out to you. So, your wait period would be longer, right? Since they told you the replacement would take longer and that you're better off contacting Dell directly, they were right and you did get your system replaced pretty quickly.
    Now, if you had done the thermal upgrades they offer and it got wasted, you're right to have a bitter feeling against Hidevolution and they would have to repaste and repad your system once more since your initial "upgrage" got wasted. I would be pissed too if $100 went down the drain without any noticeable benefit and within weeks of the delivery period.
    If you added some extra RAM and Memory from Hidevolution, I believe you're still under "Hidevolution warranty" and if any component fails under that warranty period, then you have legitimate claim against Hidevolution and they are bound to help you out. No questions asked.
    Why dont you contact them again and ask them to send you the thermal grease and pads and you can do the servicing on your own?

Don't get me wrong, I believe in any business, Customer should always be placed first before anything else and I'm not trying to support Hidevolution in any shape or form as I don't have any affiliation with them. In fact, I also have a new system from Hidevolution on it's way and @Donald@HIDevolution.com helped me customize the system. If my system fails within days of using it, I'll ask Dell to replace the system but I WILL ask Hidevolution to reapply the thermal upgrades because I'll assume that they knew that they had in fact sent me a lemon just to clear out their inventory. I've upgraded my RAM and SSD through them and I'll hold them responsible for those parts as long as I'm under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

c69k, nkc, jclausius and 2 others like this.
  4. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It’s not just that, they also were very unhelpful during the whole process. Never received my calls back about a refund, never even received my RMA or refund request from them after two weeks. I had no choice but to go to dell. Given the price hike from them and the premium warranty, I do think they should cover all of these parts from dell. The whole point of buying from HID is better support, warranty, and thermals. I got none of the three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    I'ma challenge LTT , hope they end up seeing my video on AC. :eek::D

Vasudev likes this.
  6. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Shouldn't be hard Haha.

You think if I gave tech support a call and asked for a replacement MB with the revised parts, they would oblige?

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2019
  7. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No not unless you say it is not working or turning on anymore, * disclaimer* not giving any bad advice or saying anyone should be untruthful.

First part was being sarcastic, second part was not.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Vasudev and Fire Tiger like this.
  8. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    I would not even post something like that.

You could try given the evidence that has been available online. If I were you I certainly would try, and if I was told no I would try some more.
    The specs of the components (old and new) and the fact they have been changed seem to point to part of the solution.
    It's is a valid concern to not want to deal with the BS of a burning board.

iunlock likes this.
  9. warrenLX

warrenLX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Really?
    The actual truth is that monopulse avalanche energy could be calculated by the following formula
    Eas = 1/2*I^2*L (L is test inductance usually set by OQC, varies from different companies , I is MAX current usually near the avalanche current designed)
    That is a universal No Denying understanding which you may learn in your electrical engineering class.
    And here you could find two variables in that formula so it is not a simple linear relationship and no one could directly get the actual max current without a experiment.
    Anyway, I'm not telling the AON one is more durable than the NIKOS, Dude you need more information to come up with that conclusion not just by comparing the datasheet.

captn.ko, nkc, Darkhan and 1 other person like this.
  10. warrenLX

warrenLX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So here comes the calculated Eas result for both AON and NIKOS according to your datasheet

AON: Eas=1/2*60*60*0.001=1.8 mJ(close to the test result 2 mJ which is actually higher for design margin perhaps.)
    NIKOS: Eas=1/2*24*24*0.1=28.8 mJ (close to the test result 28.5 mJ which is slightly lower below the CL)

My point is, we need to know what the I is for AON under 0.1 mH L or NIKOS under 0.001 mH L to get the useful Eas for comparison...

Vasudev likes this.