*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. warrenLX

warrenLX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    L=0.1 mH is its test condition under the 0.1 mH inductance, you can not just compare it or the Eas. Eas power comparison should be taken under the same condition

2. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The iGPU is only used though the thunderbolt port. External monitors should be plugged into the HDMI or DP on the RTX GPU in the back.

Undervolting the iGPU is not necessary for better temps

iunlock, Xatanú and Vasudev like this.
  3. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So HID got back to me about swapping over my dell replacement back under the HID warranty I had. They said they would do it but won’t cover anything that dell gave me as free upgrades. Pretty crappy on their part being that HID told me to go through dell for faster service. I don’t really see the point of having HID support anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

propeldragon and gatewayfx like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    But you live in the US, right? They are covering your PC with warranty, correct (minus the Dell parts)?

VoodooChild likes this.
  5. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK, thank you very much.
    And regarding the other question about ThrottleStop, do you know what's the purpose of the "overclock" checkbox under FIVR/Turbo Ratio Limits? I have seen some videos where some people check it and others where they leave it unchecked. I have tried checking it and apparently there is no difference.

6. Zero989

Zero989 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Does nothing. My 8850 is partially unlocked and can do 4.5ghz on 5 cores and 4.4ghz on 6 cores. It requires xtu to do that as throttlestop only goes to 4.3.

Also I notice everyone doing an offset undervolt. I get much better results doing static voltage. As in a 5-7 watt difference.

For example I do 4ghz at .9756v 6 cores. 9700k and 9900k should be even better.

Xatanú likes this.
  7. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes but it’s still annoying that HID won’t cover anything to do with my CPU, RAM, or storage devices since those were upgraded by dell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    propeldragon and gatewayfx like this.
  8. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you.
    I'm using also static voltages for full performance profile, but prefer adaptative for low load profiles as I get better temps in low frequencies with very low voltages. The main disadvantage I see with adaptative is that it can cause crashes when idle for being too low sometimes and requires much more time for tuning than the static profile where you only have to check that it does not crash under load. With adaptative you have to ensure that it does not crash with high load and also on idle.
    I wish there was a tool for tuning the whole freqs curve, that would let you go to the limit under extreme load and also get very good temps with low load or idle.

c69k likes this.
  9. Sk0b0ld

Sk0b0ld Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  10. nkc

nkc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Steve one of the King’s of overclocking

Vasudev likes this.