*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Ouch, that's a crispy board. Makes me wonder if they also upgraded the components on the MB too...

2. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Jup and no Reaction. Looks like the standard response by ignoring things untill the dust settles. I'm not in for a new laptop (my now R5 behaves very good) but i'm still appalled by the Q&A off Dellienware. The funniest thing is that he keeps talking about "engineers" (i think they just hired some engineers from compal to work on the new 51m design) while almost every level of AW (Except US) are being enployeed by monkeys.

They sometimes cannot even react to a question trying to divert the question, or answering with an irrelevant answer.

I don't care about brand loyalty i see these products as ore that has been processed to become what we use today. So i could care less if AW went under, it's not like they can back-up their enjoyed reputation anymore (mediocre after mediocre laptop is being released/engineered) cause they nowadays rely on heavy marketing (just look at their site, and compare it to the site they used to have 10years ago) and customers that can be mislead.

Mr. Fox, Vasudev and Fire Tiger like this.
  3. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    My only thought is that less competition means no innovation. Look at Intel prior to Ryzen's release. Sure AW is having issues with the 51M, but they will be worked out. You wouldn't believe how many times electronics go out even with issues and then they are fixed as they fail. Running changes are all too common.

katalin_2003, Vasudev, c69k and 2 others like this.
  4. iujona

iujona Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I use my lap...

5. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not really. I don't want my hands to bake, that's all. I'm not introducing insulation between heat sink and thermal components etc Lol

6. pathfindercod

pathfindercod Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Exactly.. I went to the Ryzen release party at Micro Center. They missed the first 4 hours troubleshooting and discovered ram compatibility issues. it screwed Ryen for weeks and months with memory comparability issues and crashing.

Think you’ll be insulating the sound card making it hotter. Who knows.. good luck

Vasudev and custom90gt like this.
  7. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Let's take an inventory of what we know (public posts, reddit, etc.) so far:

- Systems dying with a puff of smoke and burnt components
    - Systems going out without any smoke or smell - just watching a video and 'poof'
    - Burned up DGFF GPU cards
    - Burned up motherboard power components
    - Overheating sound cards
    - And, Mr. Frank claiming they're always revising it's hardware

There are a lot variables in play here. It doesn't take an electrical engineer to know this system has design problems in multiple areas. If one corrects the DGFF shunt issue, is that the problem or could one still be bitten by a mobo burn-out? With the ever-changing HW tweet, can one get a GPU with different components no one has even yet identified? And now, Heaven only knows if the sound card is going to cause a new meltdown or such high internal thermal temps that it harms other components.

I would much rather Dell come out and publicly announce they've found/fixed the problems, or at least acknowledge there are problems and they're working on it. Until then it seems a crap shoot of what one gets when this system is delivered, and if it will hold up.

TBH, my days of playing guinea pig are over, and just want to avoid the aggravation of having to deal with a burnt out paper-weight. I think by me going into a holding pattern for at least six months and watching to see how things shake out (ie. do the issues go away or do we see more or worse issues) before making any decision on the Area 51m is a prudent way forward.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    raz8020, Mr. Fox, luciela and 6 others like this.
  8. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    So, I understand this is the A51M forum, but the A51M and the Precisions share the Dell Graphics form factor, and below are photos of the Precision 7530 Quadro P3200 DGFF:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interested folks can compare this to the 7730 and A51M DGFFs:

Precision 7730:
    [​IMG]

A51M:
    [​IMG]

Contrary to the DGFF problems here, the Precision ones seem to be fine, really...

VoodooChild, Vasudev and Rei Fukai like this.
  9. Rei Fukai

Rei Fukai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You're certainly right, but the difference is that Intel actively tried to prevent OEM's buying AMD products.
    https://www.theverge.com/2014/6/12/...billion-fine-upheld-anticompetitive-practices

this article us just a droplet in the bucket of all the things Intel has done to slow down innovation/competitiveness.
    having hardware revision is different for products that are being mass produced, and something that's being build by hand.

AW's are being built by hand, and can be considered the high end cars off computers. If there is a change in the hardware those things are being communicated. But AW doesn't care about experience or performance, they just want your money and bragging rights. I mean a 150 watt rtx 2080 that slays a 200 watt version is not good, especially when you think that you where the only one producing high end desktop pc numbers (in a laptop form-factor).

i'll agree with everyone that the 51m is a great try at a new product, but i won't call this a step in the right direction. they still haven't learned tuning their CPU's and instead of giving @Prema, @Mr. Fox and @Papusan access to the bios code, they locked them out when they hgave AW pointers how to extract more performance without sacrificing money (and time like how consumers now always have to repad/repaste when 5 or six years ago we even had SLI/CROSSFIRE in a 17 inch format.

I love my alienware 17 R5 BUT i hate AW. it's not the company anymore where i would spend my 2/3k without worrying in what shape/form/broken my product got delivered.

raz8020, zdroj, Vasudev and 2 others like this.
  10. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The sound card will run hot no matter what. There is no heat sink on the chip itself so can't say if it's needed anyway. I just want to insulate the chassis because chassis isn't a heat sink for anything. I'll be getting a replacement audio card tomorrow as well as a replacement motherboard, just in case, from Dell. Hopefully I'll compare that motherboard to my current one and see if I can find something interesting.