*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep noticed the same thing. During gaming it gets insanely hot to the point where it burns my hand if I hold it too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmscott likes this.
  2. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Mine doesn't get too hot but it definitely gets hot enough. It should be expected from these tiny bricks. My lenovo x250 brick gets equally hot when charging that battery up from 0.

3. luciela

luciela Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Figured it's about time I posted seeing as I've kept up with over 1000 pages and have yet to comment, lol.

So I pre-ordered this laptop the day after it was announced with the specs as follows:
    9700k, RTX 2080, lowest RAM/HDD: On arrival swapped with my 64 GB 2800 MHz RAM + my 4 TB worth of SSD availability (3 drives, 2 m.2)
    1920x1080 144hz AUO Panel. (also swapped my NIC with the new Killer 1650 yesterday)

So after having owned this for over 2 months, I feel I've got a decent feel for this model.
    I really enjoy the design and sleek look. White or dark doesn't matter, they both look great. I got white and it looks brand new still (even around the edges). Performance is pretty good, and although I still have major gripes with AWCC I find it better overall vs the Clevo software in my P870. My last AW was the AW18 which I had sold to a friend so it's nice playing with E.T again. The internal design seems better than some of the previous models, super easy to dive into everything and tinker. Was tempted to order through HID like my Clevo, but just decided to mess with the cooling myself (haven't done delidding yet, not sure if I will). In heaving gaming CPU temps max out at 75c and GPU at 69-70c. Tried using LM Ultra and saw marginal gains from that (GPU saw decent gains) before I realized it was super dated (also barely had enough). Ordered LM Extreme and may try that soon. Replaced thermal pads with arctic and running the trusty Phoyba NanoGrease (love the viscosity on it).

As for the cons:
    How on earth does this thing not support at least 2666+ RAM? My years old Clevo could support 2800 in its sleep. The time it takes for these fans to spool up makes you think they'll flush the heat off the heatsink instantly, yet you're left going ??? (I leave mine in performance mode, but when I'm with clients I run it on a lower setting) CPU cooling could definitely be better as well, though the GPU side tackles just fine. This may be one of those 'design over functionality' elements, as the shape is a bit different and I can feel the weight reduction compared to other models. A simple case of what you prefer if you will. Despite running as a first batch this thing shows no signs of any problems at all, and I've already taken it with me on business trips, ran heavy gaming sessions and all.

Not sure if I consider it a 'massive upgrade' over my P870, which is one of the best laptops I've owned (despite getting burned with the 1080 FF not complimenting the 980 model). I had thoughts of returning it, but I got a 10% discount and my company paid 1,000 towards the purchase so there is that hah! It is a good non-BGA laptop though so I decided to keep it, hopefully with more work it becomes 'great'.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    raz8020, c69k, pathfindercod and 7 others like this.
  4. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nice to have another monster laptop fan posting his review here. I hope you enjoy your machine without issues going forward in the future. Although if I were in your place, I'd definitely take mine apart after seeing all the info that has been shared here regarding various parts and power components etc to see if I'm running a time bomb.

luciela likes this.
  5. AlexusR

AlexusR Guest

Reputations:
    Overheating soundcard? First time I've seen this in any laptop.

6. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm not sticking my head in the sand, this topic has 1,000+ pages of people posting their experiences with the laptop.
    Major flaws can happen with any company when releasing flagship model Samsung (S7,fold), Apple (Bendgate), Microsoft (ROD), etc etc ...

I think it's safe to say at this point that people know there is an issue with first batch GPU/Power delivery.
    And i think it's safe to say that this has now been fixed and there are satisfied user.

I've had MSI,Asus,Acer,Eurocom, and Alienware.
    To be honnest i don't even care about Dell/Alienware, i used to hate them and their soldered laptop.
    I still bought this laptop because i tought i'd give them a shot and see how it performs and i must admit that this laptop is a beast.
    Don't get me wrong it sucks that people have had to pay 4,000$ for a laptop with dieing GPU but they are getting fixed. Dell haven't been the most transparant when it comes to communicating what's going on with the burning laptop but they've been listening and communicating when it comes to everything else ... I think they have good intention with this unit and unlike some people here i'm not an Alienware hater and i'm willing to give them full benefit and so far except for the GPU problem (Which i don't have) i'm highly satisfied with my unit.

Life isin't just Black and White.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    S.K likes this.
  7. MogRules

MogRules Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If your dumb enough to check this in and not take it as carry on then chances are it will be crushed in the baggage compartment before it blows smoke. Baggage handlers are NOT careful with your luggage, checking in a laptop , especially one this expensive is just throwing your money in a blender.

ssj92 and S.K like this.
  8. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    WHO TF carries their laptop as baggage?! o_O

ssj92 likes this.
  9. mattcube64

mattcube64 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My temps are getting progressively worse with each passing day. Bit disappointed.

R6 Siege - without a doubt - is the most CPU intensive game I've played; moreso than even Anthem or BFV; so at the very least, it should only be "better from here." But the temps are still unacceptable.

9900k at 4.8Ghz with a -136 UV is stable. I can get higher (5Ghz+) with more voltage, but I'm trying to chase solid temps without just completely handicapping my clocks.

I was averaging about 75c on this game, with occasional spikes to 85+, and every great once in a while like 91 at it would instantly drop down (no throttling). This was true even with long gaming sessions. Now I'm hovering at 80c+, and it just keeps climbing and climbing over the course of an hour until I'm living in the 90s and hitting 99c (and throttling) every few minutes. Ugh.

I'm still on stock paste, so I suppose I'll take things out and actually repaste this weekend. But with a -136 UV playing games (not synthetic benchmarks) I feel like I should be able to easily stay under 90c. A bit bummed, but hoping I just uncover a ****ty paste job.

Did we all agree on how much thermal pad we need for VRMs, etc? I know we said 1mm and 1.5mm... Is a 50x50 of each enough? Do I need more?

10. S.K

S.K Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Stock paste is a NO-GO for 9900K.