*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks. But if the OC is in CMOS and I remove AWCC and AW OC tools, then I should reset the CMOS, right? Uninstalling AWCC would have no change if I understand correctly.

2. Rocktaze

Rocktaze Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

I've been trying to order the M.2 Heatsink for 2 months now and Dell canada keep telling me it's out of stock.

Part number : 3N3W3

Anyone know where i could find 2 of these?
    I'm willing to overpay if needed.

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    There is absolutely no airflow around battery/ssd Sata slot in this model. Same also around the NVMe ssd's. The reason people see +90C ssd temp if you don't use an ssd heatspreder on the NVME ssd's.

Regarding the Lunar White. Design before functionality. This color will be ugly after a year or two. The worse it will be if used a coating. Black for the winners... Have always been.

Does Dell still use the same black and now White coating as they have used on the palmrest since the Alienware 17 back in the 2013/14 era? If so maybe rather use a external keyboard.

4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    I think I figured out what was causing heated palm rest issue for me. It seems to be the head phone jack assembly underneath the sata hdd bay. That thing is baking hot and even with hard drive out, the palm rest is still getting heated up! That is the only thing underneath the surface now which can possibly get hot. The remaining laptop chassis is relatively cooler.

AWCC is the biggest pile of bugs that I've seen in a long time. Just use it to control your fan profiles and the bling bling on your device (lighting etc). Use Intel XTU for CPU and MSI Afterburner for GPU. Be careful though as the AWCC can override the Intel XTU profile when it is left running so just turn it on when you want to switch fan profile. Once done with that, shut it down.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2019
    Xatanú likes this.
  5. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I ordered them preinstalled on my system through Hidevolution and cost $15 each. Try contacting one of their reps. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ultra Male likes this.
  6. Expje87

Expje87 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a sata/sdd and my palmrests are not getting hot so there must be something wrong with your headphone jack.

VoodooChild likes this.
  7. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ow for me, At home I use an external monitor. But when I take it with me. A 17 inch on your lap feels a little large. I find 15-14 inch size to be a lot better for actual portable use. But of course, once you get used to large, using smaller monitors is not fun.
    After getting used to my 27 inch monitor. everything smaller doesn't cut it for me, for daily use. I could live with it. but less fun.

The Area 51M its monitor is only for monitoring in my current case at home.

8. Xatanú

Xatanú Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, that's the use I was planning for AWCC, I never touched the OC controls before this issue started to happen and was going to install TS and Afterburner and start undervolting as the next step. But with this issue I would like to leave everything working as before with the default frequencies at 3.6 prior to start using TS.

Should I clear the CMOS to get rid of this issue? Is there a way of doing it without having to remove the battery connector and the CMOS cell?
    Or will TS fix this problem if I configure a default profile with no OC? Will TS change the CMOS settings and stick the settings even if I remove TS after changing that or if I boot the computer with another OS like Linux?

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Soon Dead. Ask for replacement.
    My 3-Week-Old 51m Laptop Just Caught Fire (1 hour ago)

Details: Had the laptop plugged in to both adapters but turned off for several hours prior. Booted up and opened Overwatch. Noticed a GeForce overlay in the game that hadn't been there before and wanted to disable it. When I opened the configuration app, the GPU driver was updated. After it finished, I played Overwatch on "Low" settings for ~30 minutes when I suddenly saw a bright orange glow coming from the left side of the vent located above the computer (near power adapter ports). Smoke quickly followed....

(Left side is the MB power delivery)

When will the buyers start push Azor or Umar for info?

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    Ashtrix, raz8020, DrewN and 2 others like this.
  10. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Simply turn off oc from AWCC and you'll be back to default. No need to take the battery out.

Xatanú likes this.