*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If I am on the go and frequent places that have limited number of outlets, I prefer using the least amount of possible outlets as much as possible.

c69k and S.K like this.
  2. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Ok that makes sense.

MSI GT75 Titan's keyboard is by far the BEST keyboard that I've ever used in a laptop. Gotta give credit where it's due. Their partnership with steelseries paid off very well for their products. Keyboard is one thing that they got right on that behemoth. I owned that laptop for 2 years and that thing *invited* me to type on it! One more thing that they did right which Area 51m should have done too was a heat resistant padding on the palm rest area. Area 51m gets burning hot on the palm rests while gaming and I'm forced to use an external keyboard at times. The Titan had a thick rubbery padding on the palm rest area and always stayed cool to the touch no matter how hard I gamed on that thing. What's worse is that this burning warmth ends up making your hands sweat and your palm rest paint starts to fade away! I recently replaced my chassis just to get rid of those yellow marks and now I am considering some sort of mod to rectify this shortcoming.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2019
    raz8020, c69k and LoneSyndal like this.
  3. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply mate. I've FedEx Express shipment so it shouldn't take too long either judging by your 10 day delivery time.
    How is your white laptop holding up so far? I've read a few reports from you (and others on reddit) that the discoloration might be an issue in this laptop. If that's the case, any suggestions about cleaning this thing?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I hardly use laptop speakers at all myself. This thing is sitting on a charging pad next to my laptop and it auto connects to my laptop every single time.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/portable_speakers/soundlink_revolve_plus.html

S.K likes this.
  4. S.K

S.K Batch 80286

Reputations:
    Delivery only took 2 days. All of the remaining time (more than one month) was spent just waiting for the shipment from Dell as they were upgrading the board and gpu before sending it over to HID. So far it's working well but I regret buying this white color. It started looking dated within 10 days of use and I had to ask Dell to replace my chassis as the palm rests were already faded! I am trying to get a color scheme change.

5. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I knew what I was going to when I saw the colors. The chassis reminded me of the P150EM I had way back and did leave sweat stains during hot days. On a side note, can try adding some type of skin to palmrest. Wont get rid of heat but may help with the stains.

S.K likes this.
  6. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I thought so. I'm now glad I took the black option

I had initially ordered the white model from Xotic (which was $100 cheaper than black and still is) but ended up canceling the order. I ordered the basic black one from Hidevolution due to funds constraints but it now seems like a blessing in disguise. Hidevolution are throwing in 2 year premium warranty rather than 1 which is saving me some money in itself. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with my purchase. I will add some RAM and SSD upgrade later down the line.

jclausius and LoneSyndal like this.
  7. 2m4d

2m4d Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I just had a big problem with my unit.
    The laptop was on but I wasn't using it, nothing was running except firefox. Suddenly the screen starts flickering, followed by green signs/pixels all over the screen for around 10 seconds and then it goes black.

Quick link to the couple seconds before : https://streamable.com/s/742e9/hjwnte

It then entered a 10mn cycle of restarting over and over again, then black screen. Keyboard light was still on and mouse was still connected (lights were on).
    If I start the computer now, it'll show my desktop for a couple seconds then black screen again.
    Safe mode seems stable, but tells me "The system could not find the filter specified" for AlienwareOn-ScreenDisplay.exe

How bad is it ?

8. SacraficeMyGoat

SacraficeMyGoat Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sounds like another dud GPU. Contact Dell asap and get them to send you a new DGFF card.

Edit: Spelling

raz8020, Papusan and Rei Fukai like this.
  9. Muyfa666

Muyfa666 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, the MSI have a different port. How do I know which adapter to get? I need some kind of splitter för the 51M.

10. warrenLX

warrenLX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I've got my 51m replacement directly from dell today. Anyone can be sure whether dell has made some improvement on the machine to avoid burnt down issue?