*OFFICIAL* Alienware Area-51M Owner's Lounge

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by ssj92, Jan 8, 2019.

1. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Introducing Alienware Area-51M:

Order now:

Dell: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-17-area51m-laptop

Unboxing:

Drivers: http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/alienware-17-area51m-laptop.html

Beware: Lots of users are reporting their laptops dying. A new batch should be out for all order shipped by May 2019 or later.

[​IMG]
    LGA Z390 supporting i7-8700 up to i9-9900K
    4 RAM Slots up to 64GB DDR4
    DGFF form factor graphics card (up to RTX 2080 180W TDP)
    Amplifier Port
    17" display with 144hz option
    Dual power inputs
    [​IMG]

Ports & Slots
    1. (2x) SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type-A Ports | 2. HDMI 2.0 Output with HDCP 2.2 Output Port (Supports direct drive VR interfaces) | 3. Mini-Display 1.4 Output Port (supports NVIDIA G-SYNC) | 4. RJ45 10/100/1000/2500 Base-T, IPv6, Ethernet Port | 5. Alienware Graphics Amplifier Port | 6. Dual DC Power Inputs | 7. Thunderbolt™ 3 Port (supports USB 3.1 and DisplayPort 1.2) | 8. SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type-A Port with Powershare Technology | 9. Global Headset Jack | 10. Headphone/MIC Retaskable Jack

[​IMG]

Dimensions & Weight
    1. Height: Front 27.65mm (1.09"), Rear 31.2mm (1.23"), Peak 42mm (1.7") | 2. Width: 402.6mm (15.85") | 3. Length: 319.14mm (12.565") | Weight: 4.4 Kgs max (9.7 lbs. max)

[​IMG]

Possibility of 2x330w adapters to be used for more power:

[​IMG]
    119W CPU OC TDP when under 100% cpu/gpu load, 136W TDP Max for CPU:

[​IMG]

BIOS Recovery
    Area-51M BIOS Recovery (Thanks @Cass-Olé ):

1) Download the BIOS you want to flash from the Dell Support website: https://www.dell.com/support/home/u...WT64A&productCode=alienware-17-area51m-laptop

2) Rename BIOS file to: BIOS_IMG.rcv

3) Put on ROOT of USB drive (format as FAT32)

4) Shut down AW and remove AC Adapter

5) Press and hold CTRL + ESC while performing the next step

6) Plug in AC Adapter and press power button

7) Release CTRL + ESC once the power LED turns on

8) Select Recover BIOS option and wait for it to finish

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. ahmadmud

ahmadmud Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Upgradable gpus, and desktop cpu from alienware? this can't be real...

Would love to see any info on thermals

evenflow153, Vasudev, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  3. iunlock

iunlock 9900K @ 5.5GHz

Reputations:
    This is very promising and it's nice to see this being a reality. Finally!

Quality DTR that is well built. Bravo. That's a great start...

Can't wait .... :)

4. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The chassis quality itself looks excellent and that is what is keeping me within the alienware realm.

I hope they make a 15inch version though. But as a flagship it looks great imo.

mason2smart and iunlock like this.
  5. Ghost 350

Ghost 350 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I would really love to see them cool a 9900k (a chip that can barely be kept cool in a regular desktop chassis) and a RTX 2080 in such a slim chassis. I mean for fcks sake, Clevo can barely keep a 90c 9900k cool in the new Tornado F7. AW has had garbage out of the box cooling ever since they went full BGA with the first AW15 and AW17 Echo models. Their last decently cooled systems were the true desktop replacements AW17 and AW18 and the models previous to that.

But I am actually surprised they went this route. I didn't think that snowflake Frank Azor had it in him to return to full desktop parts.

6. VoodooChild

VoodooChild Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is looking too tempting to be true especially considering Dell's customer service in India. It's fantastic.

I was looking at MSI GT75 and willing to bite the bullet but this has given me a headache, a good one at that.

I think it's about time I gave my AW M17x 3D a rest and pick up the RTX hype train. Can't wait for the independent reviews.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Alienware just released a full 58 minutes video on it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2019
  7. Ghost 350

Ghost 350 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  8. gt83vr6reHelp

gt83vr6reHelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Saw a couple videos on this yesterday. Looks great. One thing I love is how simple and straight forward a teardown/upgrades are for this unit. Bravo. This is something I may have to consider. Cooling here is definitely a big concern though as others have stated. Hopefully one of the content creators can get their hands on one of these at ces with the 9900k inside and run some non-gpu related benchmarks/stress tests to get an idea of temperatures while under heavy load. Another concern I have here is the ram speed. While they are shipping 2666mhz modules with this device, apparently you can only run them at 2400mhz due to the architecture used. This part kind of surprises me since as a gamer playing at a high refresh rate, I want the higher speed ram for the extra fps. Then again again the laptop comes with a 20xx series gpu so there is a chance the lowerspeed ram is negligible here for gaming. I like the rgb on the rear of the chassis too, looks pretty cool.

9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I hope this thread won't have 300 pages+ issue of throttling and bad thermals like last time! This time they should support LGA at firmware level for longer than 3-4 years plus upgrade parts for next Nvidia GPU architecture as well.
    AGA must be deprecated if they believe MXM or DGFF will allow future upgrades providing BIOS updates are shipped before and not EOL'ed.
    Then there's limit of 180+330W PSU, no sd card slot, 720p webcam when earlier models shipped with FHD @30 fps.

Very promising, did you get a review unit from AW Frank Azor? Dell should offer repaste service out of the box with some extra cost and 100-200C on CPU out of the box for 6000-10000$ machine.

Skip the hype train and wait for reviews.
    About customer support: Your first telephone will be meticulously handled and turnaround time for service will be very good. Call them repeatedly for fixing the first problem you had faced which wasn't fixed with subsequent repairs, they talk to you as if the customer was forced to buy Dell by shelling out $$$$ on their product they famously advertised as a beast only to find its a ant that gets squashed by old AW m17x. Don't forget the clocks won't hold up because of higher ambient temps as well!
    If you need pointers ask @VICKYGAMEBOY @msri15603
    If you still want to buy an LGA go for Azom w/ Prema BIOS.

IXVIXXII and Rei Fukai like this.
  10. gt83vr6reHelp

gt83vr6reHelp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A consumer should not have to pay for a repaste in order for the technology to function out of the box properly.