]]>

*OFFICIAL* Alienware 18 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    If you are in the USA, you can send me your cards to be tested and flashed.

Applied Spectre microcode patch from Intel, within 24 hours, CPU is dead and two mosfets are blown on the motherboard. I'm debating repairing it, but i'm not inclined to drop any more money on such a crappy computer.

2. Raja786

Raja786 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I’m located in the UK. Cards have been sent back today to have dell bios put on them. Seller is trying to say because I’ve tried to use prema vbios I may have damaged the cards. How can I flash something that’s not even showing in my bios or device manager from first time I installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I’m more inclined to think you’ve damaged the cards through ESD or the motherboard.

4. Raja786

Raja786 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use esd wristband at all times. Motherboards fine as I installed 770m’s after trying 980m’s and they was fine. Working like they should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. s4lem0nsen

s4lem0nsen Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thx! They are a rare find here so coming over an m18r2 will be difficult haha. But I’ve read nearly everything there is about the 18 lineup and I can see why ppl like the m18. But the AW18 is the one I can get my hands on. One thing I haven’t found out is the thickness of the pads (vrams)on the gpu and cpu as I will replace them with fujipoly pads and of course LM as on my AW13. Also the gtx780 should have the 100w pipes yes? So a swap with 980s should be a hot swap? In regards to cpu the 4930mx or 4940mx do they require additional cooling or is this a easy swap also?

6. Rymesis

Rymesis Notebook Geek

Reputations:

In the AW18 I think they only came with one three-pipe heatsink, the 780m should have 100w heatsinks stock, and the 980m cards did come in AW18, with latest BIOS it should be an easy swap as long as the cards are good.

s4lem0nsen likes this.
  7. pan0phobik

pan0phobik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So All I've done is gone back to Windows 8.1 and not much else since I don't have a lot of time, but my issues are still present (edit: Outside of booting up and loading. Those times still aren't as great as they used to be, but it was a significant boost). I am nearly certain that my GPU is being throttled a lot. It seems very random, but contrast to what I said earlier in this thread, it seems to be much more frequent during very busy situations. If I move my character in World of Warcraft to a room with no one else in it and just stare at a wall then everything goes back to normal. I know that sounds like it's just a simple FPS issue but it's not like a gradual decrease like I've seen in the past. I will go instantaneously from 40-60 FPS to 5.

I've never taken apart my AW18 to clean it and remove the dust. I thought that could potentially be it.

Would you still recommend I go to Win10 without the bloatware and use the new intel chipset and dell win10 drivers?

Sorry for complaining so much and I know this laptop is old by now, but I spent $4k on it and I think I should be able to at least still play WoW and Overwatch on basic settings without dropping to 5FPS.

8. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    The Windows 10 Bloatware Free version + the thread I posted is closed. Too much work due the Micro$haft Morons screw up the whole OS with to much ****y 2 time a year. The thread creator @Phoenix was sick of dealing with it... If you go the Win 10 route. Start here....

NBR Windows 10 Clean Installation Guide
    Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes (Index post #1)
    O&O ShutUp10 - Do not use Windows 10 without it!

For drivers Intel's Chipset - Intel MEI Drivers - Recommended AHCI/RAID drivers - Dell support's Win 10 drivers for AW18

Ashtrix and Phoenix like this.
  9. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
  10. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Sorry I forgot:eek: Can't rep you.
    Yeah, I know about that video. I prefer do thing my self. But maybe you should but this video in your NBR Windows 10 Clean Installation Guide if you not already have done it. In a spoiler or...:)

Damn, M$ Morons.... This steps shouldn't be needed!!!

Phoenix likes this.