*OFFICIAL* Alienware 18 Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muhd86

muhd86 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    guys is the windows 10 issue with alienware laptop fixed now the one which was killing the lcd panels , been a while so i dont know much about it .

2. muhd86

muhd86 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    the alien 18 i got is giving about max give or take 2 hours of battery time on intel gpu but i am using the net . watching some movies and copying large data files while doing so -

is the battery time ok for this laptop .

with dedicated gpu using the net with half brightness levels it gives max 60 to 65 min .

temps : - is doom not configred for sli - i ran it on the vulkan api and it picks up 1 gpu - i maxed everything out and just disabled the anti aliasing giving constant 45 and in some cases 60 fps in full hd .

will get back and see what sli figures are : -

temps : i lifted the laptop from the table via small objects and i have noticed a very decent drop of temps - 1st they would cross 84c on both but now they are like 75c , note that i have not installed hwmonitor as of now -

will get back when i get those installed .

3. muhd86

muhd86 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i wanted to know if i have selected the intel gpu in aliewnare 18 / and in this mode if i use hardware monitor i can increase the fan of the cpu - the fans of the gpus are disabled i mean i dont think they spin etc -is this ok --are they disabled or not in use ...

4. smoking2k

smoking2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The fans don't spin as they are linked to the discrete gpu's which are switched off when using the integrated gpu. The Igpu is build into the cpu hence only the cpu fan going.

The battery seems slightly warn out as I get more than 2 hours out of the igpu. That being said it depends on screen brightness and cpu workload(background tasks n such) and other hardware in use, your never going to get extremely long battery running time using this beast.

pretty sure that was linked back to evga precision x utility or something or other(cant remember) as the limited edition with 980m and 970m came with windows ten as default and I don't think there screens imploded. try reading the forum about it....

5. muhd86

muhd86 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    well mr.fox says its still dangerous to install windows so i am not doing it for now --so far windows 8.1 is serving it purpose .

dont wana risk it -

6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Ashtrix and smoking2k like this.
  7. smoking2k

smoking2k Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's crazy from the sounds and looks alienware is out of the 18'' category for good. Probable for the best as there implementation at this point would just be a bga Turdbook with a 18'' screen as Mr. azure said no desktop processors in laptop because of the compromises(read this in a Q/A somewhere). WTH. To be honest I would not buy another 18'' DTR that would have no upgrade path(GPU/CPU) at this point anyway. If these clowns could get it together and make laptops more upgradeable with more certainty of upgrade paths they would be a more viable option and probable sell more. I like how at least MSI tried to push guaranteed upgrades but got bit by it as the industry moves to BGA everything.....

tharok2, Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Mr. Azor talk and talk only about Battery, Thin, thin slimmer, slimmest and power saving. Yeah. Even said the quality was very good. Although he talked about 4-5 years old Alienware laptops. You can't compare the new BGABOOKS VS. Older quality AW models from DELLIENWARE. Newer Aw laptops = 24 swapped motherboards for 4 owners of the TURDBOOKS. Is this quality?

smoking2k and Ashtrix like this.
  9. hercules.90

hercules.90 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm sorry if i restart the conversation, but i need your help. I have read on this forum about the problem of the second fan for the GPU 980m but i need to do a question because i'm not sure about the solution for this problem. I bought and installed a new cpu i7 4940MX + 2 SLI 980m but i have two problems:
    1 - The cpu runs upper that 90° when i play
    2 - The second fan of the gpu doesn't start
    For solve these problems i use HWinfo, but i want to understand if there is another solution.
    I use WIN 10 pro 64 bit, my Bios is A12, i don't overclock and i flashed on the GPUs the last vBios from dell web site (this http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=9W9F7 )
    How can i do? I have to keep the HWinfo or do you know an alternative solution? Thank you for your time

10. Kade Storm

Kade Storm The Devil's Advocate

Reputations:
    Hi there,

1. You might have to inspect the CPU heat sink, confirm if it is seated correctly with adequate thermal paste and vents appropriately cleaned out.

2. With this particular model, the second GPU fan is an issue, which is why Dell released a special vBIOS package with two distinct vBIOS files for each card. This allows the fan tables to run properly. You can get this vBIOS package at the following URL (http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=9W9F7).

Additionally to point number 2, I would highly recommend @Prema's custom vBIOS files for this system, which not only improve clock stability (no throttling down from boost clocks), but also maintain fan performance across both tables while unlocking plenty of options for the cards. Please consider donating to him as it is with his effort that many systems, legacy and new, seem to have their full potentials realised.

smoking2k likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.