*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Zero 1

Zero 1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You can also enable test mode as well which does the sane thing

Press Start->Search->type cmd then right-click on the result and click Run as administrator. In the CMD window type or copy-paste bcdedit /set testsigning on and press enter. Restart PC.

2. Zero 1

Zero 1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thr
    N run nvcleaninstall input your device I'd . That's found in device manager you can then use the scroll down to find your card . There will be several entries . Try them until one works :)

3. DrBlackAwesome

DrBlackAwesome Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've changed the INF. Files before and tried it manually where I try to install using the setup from the Nvidia website and I think it's installs but then I'm unable to see my screen afterwards. I've had it to where I did install and then my screen went black. I turned off the. Computer and it was booting up to windows normally untill it gets to the log in screen, where it just stays black and I can see anything. The display is on cause I can see the backlight on the screen but I had to go safe mode to clean install and reinstall the working drivers from 2019. Maybe it's my laptop specs. I have a 120hz screen, maybe that's what's messing with it. I also haven't changed much of anything on the bios, just changed to let it boot to the UEFI.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

4. shaks

shaks Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the exact same problem with the 17R1 :

980M
    4910mq
    16 GB ram
    120 Hz display

I hope this problem will be resolved in future drivers...

If a person has a solution, I'm a taker

5. DrBlackAwesome

Reputations:
    I have the same specs except I have 32gb of ram.

6. Maxware79

Maxware79 Alienware died in 2014

Reputations:
    I have a few 120Hz 17's in the garage and I've been testing some old GPU's in them that I know have some issues. There's a 660M that will work with the 60hz panel but will have a very low Fire Strike score. When I plug it into the 120hz machine it will just blackscreen. The 660M is on its last legs.
    It's possible that your card is the issue and just doesn't have the power to run that display.
    Do you get a display without the driver installed?

Zero 1 likes this.
  7. DrBlackAwesome

Reputations:
    I do get display after I uninstall all the drivers, and after I install the 2019 Nvidia drivers I will get display as well. But if I try to install the 2021 drivers from Nvidia, I get the black screen. Backlight still is on and will boot to windows 10 fine, just no display afterwards.

8. Maxware79

Maxware79 Alienware died in 2014

Reputations:
    Very strange. Are you able to post the Hardware ID from your machine with the driver uninstalled?
    First thing to do is make sure the line is correct in the inf. If it works with an older driver then something may not be right

Papusan likes this.
  9. DrBlackAwesome

Reputations:
    This is the device id with drivers uninstalled. I'm then going to try the clean install application that was mentioned before now.

Attached Files:

10. DrBlackAwesome

Reputations:
    Driver Easy and Clean install recommend totally different driver updated. The Driver easy one one more update higher than the clean install one i think. Both are 2019 updated

Attached Files: