*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Zero 1

Zero 1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's true though I constantly clean screens lol so I feel that but I found that interesting considering the 40 pin doesn't carry . HID lanes you also lose one USB port because it involves soldering the data cables yo s USB port . Reminds me of the okd Asus eeepc days lol anyway I'm selling some mxm gpus then I'll buy that screen I'm 90 percent sure I can use my original EDP. Cables

2. Zero 1

Reputations:
    So the 4930mx in my rangers igpu has died . If I disabled the igpu the cpu works fine but.... Once it gets enabled it artifacts mine has Optimus so disabling the igpu makes it run like snizz

3. DrBlackAwesome

DrBlackAwesome Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, so after about a year waiting and saving for the 980Mxm, I finally got it. Installing it was a pain in the ass. I used the Uninstalling driver tool that cleans out the old Nvidia drivers for 765m, then installed the new 980m, then realized I didn't buy a backplate for it. So I ripped the one off the 765m and added it to the 980m. tehe. Then I put it all back together for it not to turn on. Couldn't find out why. Saw a YouTube video saying, "hold power button for 30 second" and somehow that actually made it boot up to windows. Restarted windows to take driver signature enforcement off. Then tried to install the latest Nvidia driver for the 980m[after modding the INF of course.] Only to be told driver is not compatible with my windows even though I have 64bit, not 32 bit windows 10. I end up looking around online and found a site called Easy driver. Did the free trial and gave me a driver installation back in 2020 at least. But it's not the latest 2021 driver and I've tried many times to do it manually as well, but that ends up either freezing my computer or giving me a black screen after booting up to windows. I end up booting into safe mode to uninstall and trying to reinstall but I can't seem to understand the issue, I've tried uninstalling to reinstalling the drivers but still have the same 2 problems. I've searched as much as I could, but no luck. Hoping anyone here might know a solution that can help me. If not, I can live with this 2020 driver update.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

4. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Use a program called Nvcleanstall to auto-mod the drivers for you. It's a free program. All you have to do is provide your device ID.

Zero 1 likes this.
  5. Zero 1

Reputations:
    Seems to be an awesome program made my driver install easy as heck on my rtx 3000m Quadro

Clamibot likes this.
  6. Zero 1

Reputations:
    Also don't need to disable driver signature as well :)

Clamibot likes this.
  7. DrBlackAwesome

Reputations:
    Wow, really? I gotta try it out tonight.

Clamibot and Zero 1 like this.
  8. DrBlackAwesome

Reputations:
    Tried the clean install and downloaded it. It actually recommended a version less updated than the one I already have. I tried to manually get the newest drivers for this latest update and it says it's not compatible with my versions of windows when I ha e windows 10 64 bits.

9. Maxware79

Maxware79 Alienware died in 2014

Reputations:
    I can help walk you through the inf mod and installation if you like. If you've tried it and it didn't work it would mean that you made a small mistake when modding it.

Don't forget that when you disable driver signature enforcement it's only disabled until you restart the laptop, then it resets to default and turns it back on.

Zero 1 likes this.
  10. Zero 1

Reputations:
    The only issue I have with nvcleaninstall is now my rtx 3000 quadro says Nvidia graphics device still works fine but under task manager windows is like the heck is that ? Lol