*OFFICIAL* Alienware 17 Ranger (2013) Owner's Lounge Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 17 and M17x' started by Mr. Fox, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Zero 1

Zero 1 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah it's an 40 pin edp I looked through the thread but finding the part numbers results in a lot if discontinued screens that cost 250 bucks lol

2. Maxware79

Maxware79 Alienware died in 2014

Reputations:
    No, you must use the eDP cable in the port with the screw mounts for the 120hz and LVDS cable in the other port for 60hz.

What parts are you looking to find?

3. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    You can run a 60hz panel on eDP, you can also run a 120hz panel at 60hz.

Not a fan of the glossy display that was used in its hayday, much prefer the N173HHE-G32 but not too many like going that route

4. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you completely sure? Which connection on the motherboard is the screen connected to? The wider one with screws or the narrower one?

The wider one is the eDP port and the narrower one is the LVDS port. Only the eDP port has screw threads.

5. Zero 1

Reputations:
    My screen is embedded display 40 pin even though it's 60 lol

6. Zero 1

Reputations:
    Looking to see what the best bang for the buck 120 hz panel is

7. Maxware79

Reputations:
    That's strange. Is it an OEM display? Does the cable connector have the mounting screws? If it does then it has to be the 120hz panel switched to 60hz.

120Hz panels are getting hard to find now. I have a few bad ones that have a horizontal line or two through them. One of them isn't too bad as the lines are right along the bottom of the task bar but the other one has them right through the center.

8. Zero 1

Reputations:
    Yeah it's definitely OEM. It's weird though it had an 860 . I wonder though if the panel was replaced because one of the corners of the display casing is lose . It might have been lvds at one point . There is an EDP display that is 60 hz though . My screen is 8bit too but only 60 I'm pretty sure it's ips too

9. Zero 1

Reputations:
    As a matter of fact I just messaged the guy I got the ranger from . He said he replaced the screen because the original one died . It's a 60hz ips

10. Maxware79

Reputations:
    Yeah, something didn't sound OEM with how you were describing it. So you have a 60hz panel plugged into the eDP port? I still think you're going to need the OEM eDP cable to go with the 120hz panel. It may be easier finding a donor machine. Try searching eBay for a 'for parts or not working' unit with the 3D panel. You'll usually find the displays are good and it's the board or GPU that has failed. I usually buy these for around $300AUD so maybe $220USD and you'll still have parts you can use later or sell.